Quadrant by the x and y axes

• Thread starter e^(i Pi)+1=0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axes
In summary: The x-coordinate of x-intercept is equal to the base of the triangle.The y-coordinate of y-intercept is equal to the altitude of the triangle.
e^(i Pi)+1=0

Homework Statement

A right triangle is formed in the first quadrant by the x and y axes and a line through the point (1,2). Find the vertices of the triangle such that its area is a minimum.

Homework Equations

[itex]a=\frac{1}{2}xy[/itex]
[itex]x^2+y^2=h^2[/itex]
[itex]y-2=m(x-1)[/itex]
[itex]p=x+y+h[/itex]
[itex]p=x+m(x+1)+2+h[/itex]
[itex]x^2+(mx-m+2)^2=h^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The last several equations represent my attempt so far. I cannot figure out an equation to differentiate. I also tried trig functions, but that didn't help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Does this actually have a numerical answer? As far as I can see, you have two fixed points, the origin and the point (1,2), which means bringing the other point closer to the origin you decrease the area, and as long as it's not (0,0) it will remain a triangle.

You have to many variables that are not independent. You should be able to focus on one and only one, for example the slope of the the hypotenuse, then write area as a function of the slope and find a's extrema.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

Homework Statement

A right triangle is formed in the first quadrant by the x and y axes and a line through the point (1,2). Find the vertices of the triangle such that its area is a minimum.

Homework Equations

[itex]a=\frac{1}{2}xy[/itex]
[itex]x^2+y^2=h^2[/itex]
[itex]y-2=m(x-1)[/itex]
[itex]p=x+y+h[/itex]
[itex]p=x+m(x+1)+2+h[/itex]
[itex]x^2+(mx-m+2)^2=h^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The last several equations represent my attempt so far. I cannot figure out an equation to differentiate. I also tried trig functions, but that didn't help.

Concentrate on the second equation. Find the x and y intercepts in terms of m. Now use the first equation. Differentiate with respect to m to find the extermum.

[itex]x int: (m[x-1]+2, 0)[/itex]
[itex]y int: (0, 2-m)[/itex]

how can I get rid of the x in the x intercept

edit: I can have [itex]x=\frac{2a}{y}[/itex], but doesn't seem to help.

am going to bed now, so will check in tomorrow, thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

edit: I can have [itex]x=\frac{2a}{y}[/itex], but doesn't seem to help
The x-coordinate of x-intercept is equal to the base of the triangle.

The y-coordinate of y-intercept is equal to the altitude of the triangle.

How is the area of a triangle related to its base & altitude?

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

edit: I can have [itex]x=\frac{2a}{y}[/itex], but doesn't seem to help.

am going to bed now, so will check in tomorrow, thanks for the assistance.

Put y=0 and solve for x to get the x-intercept. The result shouldn't contain an extra 'x'.

Yes, I was really short on sleep when I wrote that. :zzz:

The equation is [itex]\frac{1}{2}(2-m)(\frac{m-2}{m})=A[/itex]

I've got it now, thanks.

1. What is the significance of the x and y axes in a quadrant?

The x and y axes are used to plot points on a graph in a Cartesian coordinate system. This allows for the visualization of relationships between two variables.

2. How many quadrants are there in a graph?

There are four quadrants in a graph, each separated by the x and y axes. The quadrants are numbered counterclockwise starting from the top right quadrant as Quadrant I, followed by Quadrant II, III, and IV.

3. How are points plotted on a graph in a specific quadrant?

Points are plotted on a graph by locating the x-coordinate on the horizontal x-axis and the y-coordinate on the vertical y-axis. The point where the two coordinates intersect is the plotted point in the designated quadrant.

4. What are the characteristics of each quadrant?

Each quadrant has unique characteristics based on the signs of the x and y coordinates. In Quadrant I, both x and y coordinates are positive. In Quadrant II, x-coordinate is negative and y-coordinate is positive. In Quadrant III, both x and y coordinates are negative. In Quadrant IV, x-coordinate is positive and y-coordinate is negative.

5. How is the slope of a line determined in each quadrant?

The slope of a line in each quadrant can be determined by the direction and steepness of the line. In Quadrant I, the slope is positive and increasing. In Quadrant II, the slope is negative and decreasing. In Quadrant III, the slope is positive and decreasing. In Quadrant IV, the slope is negative and increasing.