Is My Algebraic Simplification Correct?

I see what you mean thoughIn summary, the conversation is about a question where the participant has attempted to simplify a fraction but got different answers due to a missed factor. After discussing the correct approach to solving the problem, the participant realizes their mistake and understands the correct solution.
tigerd12

Homework Statement

Hello, I just found a question, and having attempted it many times I get different answers, probably due to my messy working, however I have just tried it twice again and got the same answer, just checking with you guys to see if you think it is correct.

Thanks!

Simplify fully

2/(x-1)+(x-11)/(x^2+3x-4)

My answer is 1/(x+4)

Hope it's right!

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the fraction [tex]\frac{2}{x-1} + \frac{x-11}{x^2+3x-4}[/tex]? If so, you have missed a factor of 3.

neutrino said:
Is this the fraction [tex]\frac{2}{x-1} + \frac{x-11}{x^2+3x-4}[/tex]? If so, you have missed a factor of 3.

Hmm?

What do you mean?

yes the question is as you stated

I started out solving the question by getting lowest common denominator.. i.e

(x-1)(x+4)+(x-1) was my bottom line.. and then i carried on.. so which factor did I miss?

What did you do after that?

Working

Ok here is the working..

2(x-1)(x+4)+(x-1)(x-11)/(x-1)(x+4)+(x-1)

Simplifies into..

2x^2+6x-8+x^2-11x-x+11/(x-1)(x+4)(x-1)

which then is

3x^2-6x+3/(x-1)(x+4)(x-1)

which then is

x^2-2x+1/(x-1)(x+4)(x-1)

which then turns out to be

(x-1)(x-1)/(x-1)(x+4)(x-1) = 1/(x+4)

I think..

tigerd12 said:
Ok here is the working..
2(x-1)(x+4)+(x-1)(x-11)/(x-1)(x+4)+(x-1)
Hmm...I'm not sure how you arrived at that, but

[tex]\frac{2}{x-1} + \frac{x-11}{x^2+3x-4}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2(x+4) +(x-11)}{(x-1)(x+4)} [/tex]

Think of it as multiplying the numerator and denominator of the first term by (x+4) and simplifying.

ahhhhh i get you, i understand, didnt spot that (x-1) was also factor or the other quadratic.. but 1 thing..

the way I got to my answer is taking the LCM by multiplying the two bottom terms, then working from there.. theoretically it should have come out right, i can't see why it didn't

tigerd12 said:
the way I got to my answer is taking the LCM by multiplying the two bottom terms, then working from there.. theoretically it should have come out right, i can't see why it didn't

The LCM of (x-1) and (x-1)(x+4) is (x-1)(x+4). Therefore the denominator becomes (x-1)(x+4), and you multiply the 2 by (x+4) and the (x-11) by 1.

yeah I get that, but couldn't (x-1)(x-1)(x+4) be used too as its still a multiple of both

tigerd12 said:
yeah I get that, but couldn't (x-1)(x-1)(x+4) be used too as its still a multiple of both
We're talking about least common multiple.

I thought when adding fractions you just needed a common multiple, not the lowest? or am I wrong?

tigerd12 said:
I thought when adding fractions you just needed a common multiple, not the lowest? or am I wrong?
You said you took the LCM. What do you think LCM stands for? :wink:

Here's a numerical example: (1/2) + (1/4) = 0.50 + 0.25 = 0.75

The least common multiple of 2 and 4 is 4, since 2x2 = 4x1 = 4.

(1/2) + (1/4) = ((1x2) + (1x1))/4 = 3/4 = 0.75

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought I took what I thought was the LCM, I was wrong, but what I'm asking is that shouldn't it have worked as the denominator I gave was still a multiple of both

tigerd12 said:
Yeah, I thought I took what I thought was the LCM, I was wrong, but what I'm asking is that shouldn't it have worked as the denominator I gave was still a multiple of both
Ah. What you essentially did was multiply the numerator and denominator by (x-1). So the answer should be the same as the correct one.

But from going from 3x^2-6x+3/(x-1)(x+4)(x-1) to x^2-2x+1/(x-1)(x+4)(x-1), you forgot the factor of three in the numerator, just as I said in my first post. :biggrin:

But doesn't 3x^2-6x+3 = x^2-2x+1? As I took out the factor of 3?

tigerd12 said:
But doesn't 3x^2-6x+3 = x^2-2x+1? As I took out the factor of 3?

But where does the 3 go?

What you're saying is the same as stating 3 = 1. Does that make sense?

3x^2-6x+3 is equal to thrice x^2-2x+1.

Since 3 is common to all terms, I can write it as 3(x^2-2x+1). Multiply each term within the brackets by 3 and you'll get back to old expression.

hmm ok.. kinda wierd, since i thought dividing everything by three should keep it the same

What is a quadratic algebra fraction?

A quadratic algebra fraction is an equation that contains a quadratic term, which is a variable raised to the second power, and one or more fractions. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

How do you solve quadratic algebra fractions?

To solve a quadratic algebra fraction, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can also use factoring, completing the square, or graphing to find the solutions.

What is the difference between a linear and a quadratic algebra fraction?

The main difference between a linear and a quadratic algebra fraction is the highest power of the variable. A linear fraction has a variable raised to the first power, while a quadratic fraction has a variable raised to the second power.

Why do we use quadratic algebra fractions?

Quadratic algebra fractions are used to model real-life situations, such as projectile motion, population growth, and profit maximization. They can also be used to solve problems involving area and volume.

Can quadratic algebra fractions have complex solutions?

Yes, quadratic algebra fractions can have complex solutions. This occurs when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative, resulting in imaginary numbers. These solutions can still be used to solve real-life problems, such as finding the maximum height of a projectile.