1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quadratic drag as v^3/2

1. Sep 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m slides on a horizontal surface that's been lubricated with a heavy oil so that the block suffers a viscous resistance that varies as the 3/2 power of the speed.

If the initial speed of the block is Vo at x=o, show that the block cannot travel further than 2m(Vo^(1/2))/c

c is the drag constant.

2. Relevant equations

The viscous resistance is defined as F(v)=-cv^(3/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I defined my axis so that F = ma = -F(v) = cv^(3/2)

It's obvious that I need to calculate the limit of t when t goes to infinity from the position equation. So I integrate my F=ma equation twice and I don't get the answer.

For my first integration, I have dv/(v^(3/2)) = (cm)dt which gets me 1/(V^(1/2)) - 1/(Vo^(1/2)) = cmt

Now I isolate V=dx/dt in order to integrate a second time. I find that V=1/((Vo^(1/2)) + (ct/2m))^2

Let u = the denominator, du = cdt/2m --> dt = 2mdu/c. The integral becomes dx=1/(u)^2du
    and I get x = -1/u. After I replace u for it's value, my limit when t-->infinity isn't what the question demands.

Could someone tell me where I might have made a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The viscous force acts opposite to the direction of motion. It was already defined with the correct sign, but you negated it. If you take your solution and replace c -> -c you might get the correct result.

4. Sep 30, 2010 #3
    I just tried it, and my limit is still wrong. My second integral is now x = m/c((1/Vo^(1/2)) - (ct/m))

5. Sep 30, 2010 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're missing some minus signs and factors of 2. You're also missing the t=0 term in the integration of the velocity. For the first integration I find

[tex]-\frac{2}{\sqrt{v}} + \frac{2}{\sqrt{v_0}} = - \frac{ct}{m}[/tex]

The 2nd integration gives

[tex] x = \frac{2m v_0 }{c\sqrt{v_0}} \left( - \frac{1}{1+\frac{c\sqrt{v_0}}{2m}t} + 1\right).[/tex]

After simplifying, you get something that yields

[tex]x(t\rightarrow\infty) \rightarrow \frac{2m\sqrt{v_0}}{c}.[/tex]

6. Sep 30, 2010 #5
    thank you very much, I understand now

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook