Solving for v(t), tmax, and Max Height of a Thrown Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a ball being thrown vertically upwards at a certain speed and the effects of drag force on its motion. Part A of the question involves using Newton's Second Law to find the acceleration while moving upwards. Part B involves finding the time and maximum height at which the ball reaches its maximum height, and expressing the results in terms of g and vt. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the question, with one person suggesting the use of calculus and another questioning the use of hyperbolic functions.
zeromaxxx

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown vertically upwards at speed v0. Assume drag force is proportional to v2.

a) Show that, while moving upwards, Newton's Second Law gives a = -g(1+v2/vt2) where vt is the terminal speed.

b) Take v0 = 3vt and solve for v(t), the time tmax at which it reaches max height and the maximum height it reaches. Express your results in terms of g and vt

Homework Equations

a = -g(1+v2/vt2)

v = -vt tanh (t/T), where T = vt/g

y = -vt2/g * ln [cosh (gt/vt)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part A of the question simple enough, I'm having trouble with part B. I got the expression for v(t) which was the integral of the first equation. I'm having trouble looking for tmax and the max height. It sounds simple enough but I can't grasp around the idea on how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what is v at the max height? Think calculus.

Last edited:
hotvette said:
What is v at the max height? Think calculus.

v at max height should be 0 right?

so then 0 = -vt tanh (t/T)

It's how to deal with the equation that comes after.

tanh x = (ex - e-x)/(ex + e-x)

tanh (t/T) = (et/T - e-t/T)/(et/T + e-t/T)

0 = -vt[ (et/T - e-t/T)/(et/T + e-t/T)]

so if v = 0, then the the exponential functions on the numerator should equal 1 since -vt(1-1/1+1) = 0. This would be the case if the term (t/T) = 0 cause e0 = 1.

That's the farthest I got since I can't think of anything that can make the term equal zero unless ' t ' itself is zero. I think I'm missing something here.

I believe your expression for v(t) is incorrect, since v(0) should be v0.

Last edited:
I have the same question on my assignment. I don't get any hyperbolic functions because the object is moving upwards. It would become hyperbolic if it was moving downwards. The integral of 1/(1+x^2) is arctan. So instead of having tanh it would be changed to arctan.

1. How do you solve for v(t) in the equation for a thrown ball?

The equation for v(t) in the case of a thrown ball is v(t) = v0 - gt, where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity. To solve for v(t), you need to know the values of v0 and g, and then plug them into the equation.

2. What is the significance of tmax in a thrown ball?

tmax represents the time at which the ball reaches its maximum height. It is the highest point in the ball's trajectory and is important for calculating the maximum height of the ball.

3. How do you calculate tmax for a thrown ball?

tmax can be calculated using the formula tmax = v0/g, where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the ball is thrown from ground level and reaches its maximum height before falling back to the ground.

4. What is the maximum height of a thrown ball and how is it calculated?

The maximum height of a thrown ball is the highest point it reaches in its trajectory. It can be calculated using the formula hmax = v0^2/2g, where v0 is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the ball is thrown from ground level.

5. What factors can affect the values of v(t), tmax, and the maximum height of a thrown ball?

The values of v(t), tmax, and the maximum height of a thrown ball can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity, the angle of the throw, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can change the trajectory of the ball and ultimately impact the values of v(t), tmax, and the maximum height.