Quadratic equation - how to understand the impact of the middle term?

In summary, the middle term (10x) in the quadratic equation does not affect the shape of the parabola, but it does play a role in determining the positioning of the graph. Specifically, it causes a translation to the left and down, as shown in the equation (x+a)^2 + 24 - a^2. This means that the vertex and any other points on the graph will be shifted accordingly. To find the exact effect of the middle term, you can use factorization or consider half of the term as a coefficient.
musicgold
Hi,

I am trying understand if there is a quick way to figure out the impact of the X term in a quadratic equation.

For example, by looking at the following equation, I know that it is a parabola (X^2) ; by looking at 24, I know that it is the y-intercept. However, I don't know what is the impact of the middle term (10X). I don't know what will happen to the curve if I change it to 20X. I know that the parabola will shift to the left or right but not sure exactly.

y = X^2 + 10X +24

Is there a way to figure of the effect of the middle term?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:
Hi,

I am trying understand if there is a quick way to figure out the impact of the X term in a quadratic equation.

For example, by looking at the following equation, I know that it is a parabola (X^2) ; by looking at 24, I know that it is the y-intercept. However, I don't know what is the impact of the middle term (10X). I don't know what will happen to the curve if I change it to 20X. I know that the parabola will shift to the left or right but not sure exactly.

y = X^2 + 10X +24

Is there a way to figure of the effect of the middle term?

Thanks.

In your equation, the 10x term causes a translation to the left by 5 units.

Your equation can be rewritten as y = x2 + 10x + 25 - 1 = (x + 5)2 - 1.

Relative to the graph of y = x2, the equation above is shifted left by 5 units and down 1 unit. Instead of the vertex being at (0, 0), the vertex is now at (-5, -1). The point (1, 1) on the graph of y = x2 has also been shifted left and down, and is now at (-4, 0).

I'm assuming you are looking for only the contribution the middle term brings.

Instead of considering 10x, it's easier to consider half of the middle term: that is five times 2x. Then
##x^2 + 2 a x + 24 = (x+a)^2 + 24 - a^2##.
So it takes the polynomial ##x^2 + 24## and translates it left a units and down a2 units. In your example, a=5.

Note therefore, which ought to be clear from the two previous posts, that the middle term has no effect on the SHAPE of the parabola, merely on its positioning in the plane.

I am not sure what you mean, but your question was:
y = X^2 + 10X +24
well i use factorization because it can be factorized:
so y = X^2 + 6X+4X +24
y= X(X+6) +4(X+6)
y= (X+4) (X+6)
EITHER X IS = -4 OR X IS = -6

Shastri Baksh said:
I am not sure what you mean, but your question was:
y = X^2 + 10X +24
well i use factorization because it can be factorized:
so y = X^2 + 6X+4X +24
y= X(X+6) +4(X+6)
y= (X+4) (X+6)
EITHER X IS = -4 OR X IS = -6

The OP wasn't asking for the x-intercepts, which you have found. He/she was asking about what role the 10x term plays in the shape of the graph of this parabola.

the middle term has no effect on shape of parabola,
while graphing x^2+10x+24=0
x^2=-10x-24
y=x^2 and y=-10x-24
middle term plays a role in where the linear equation cuts the parabola and not on the shape of the parabola

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a second-degree polynomial equation, meaning the highest degree of the variable is 2.

2. What is the meaning of the middle term in a quadratic equation?

The middle term, bx, represents the linear coefficient in a quadratic equation. It is the term that contains the variable x with a coefficient of b. This term has a significant impact on the shape and position of the parabola when graphed.

3. How does the middle term affect the roots of a quadratic equation?

The roots or solutions of a quadratic equation are the values of x that make the equation equal to zero. The middle term, bx, affects the roots by determining their sum and product. If the sum of the roots is negative, then b is negative, and if the product is positive, then c is positive. These conditions are crucial in solving quadratic equations.

4. What is the importance of the middle term in quadratic equations?

The middle term is crucial in understanding the behavior of a quadratic equation. It determines the direction and shape of the parabola when graphed, as well as the position and nature of the roots. The middle term also plays a significant role in solving quadratic equations using various methods such as factoring, completing the square, and the quadratic formula.

5. How can I visualize the impact of the middle term in a quadratic equation?

The best way to visualize the impact of the middle term is by graphing the quadratic equation. The coefficient b will determine the slope and direction of the parabola, while the constant c will affect the y-intercept. Additionally, changing the values of b and c will result in different shapes and positions of the parabola, providing a visual representation of the impact of the middle term.