1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic equation thingy

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that for all values of x:

3x^2 + 12x + 5 = p(x +q)^2 + r

a) find the values of p, q and r
    b) solve the equation 3x^2 + 12x + 5 = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm completely lost here but here's my attempt at a solution - I'm pretty sure that I did it all wrong:

I divided them by 3 and moved the last bit to the other side of the equal sign and made it a minus. I tried using the complete the square method:

x^2+4x=-7/3

After that I have no idea what to do... I don't have a clue how I find the values of p, q and r.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Try to rewrite [tex] 3x^2 + 12x +5 [/tex] itself using completing the square, then compare the result to [tex] p(x+q)^2 + r [/tex]

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3
    I'm sorry you have to be more clear, I'm a newb.

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

In other words, don't divide by 3 first. It is possible to complete the square even if the coefficient of the x2 term is not 1. Here's a hint to get you started: factor out a GCF from the first 2 terms only (ignoring the constant term).

6. Sep 21, 2010 #5

statdad

Homework Helper

Start with [itex] 3x^2+12 + 5 [/itex], write it as [itex] 3(x^2+4x) + 5 [/itex], and complete the square to write it as [itex] 3(x+ \text{something })^2 + \text{something}[/itex].

Then compare it with [itex] p(x+q)^2 + r [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook