What are the values of p, q, and r in this quadratic equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of p, q, and r in the equation 3x^2 + 12x + 5 = p(x+q)^2 + r, as well as solving the equation 3x^2 + 12x + 5 = 0 using the completing the square method. The conversation also includes a hint to factor out a GCF and complete the square to find the values of p, q, and r.
AD7863

Homework Statement

Given that for all values of x:

3x^2 + 12x + 5 = p(x +q)^2 + r

a) find the values of p, q and r
b) solve the equation 3x^2 + 12x + 5 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost here but here's my attempt at a solution - I'm pretty sure that I did it all wrong:

I divided them by 3 and moved the last bit to the other side of the equal sign and made it a minus. I tried using the complete the square method:

x^2+4x=-7/3

After that I have no idea what to do... I don't have a clue how I find the values of p, q and r.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to rewrite [tex] 3x^2 + 12x +5 [/tex] itself using completing the square, then compare the result to [tex] p(x+q)^2 + r [/tex]

statdad said:
Try to rewrite [tex] 3x^2 + 12x +5 [/tex] itself using completing the square, then compare the result to [tex] p(x+q)^2 + r [/tex]

I'm sorry you have to be more clear, I'm a newb.

In other words, don't divide by 3 first. It is possible to complete the square even if the coefficient of the x2 term is not 1. Here's a hint to get you started: factor out a GCF from the first 2 terms only (ignoring the constant term).

Start with [itex] 3x^2+12 + 5 [/itex], write it as [itex] 3(x^2+4x) + 5 [/itex], and complete the square to write it as [itex] 3(x+ \text{something })^2 + \text{something}[/itex].

Then compare it with [itex] p(x+q)^2 + r [/itex].

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression with the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable. It represents a curve known as a parabola.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods to solve a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The most commonly used method is the quadratic formula, which is (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

3. What is the importance of quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model real-life situations involving curved shapes and help in finding solutions to problems related to motion, optimization, and more.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can have a maximum of two distinct solutions. This is because a parabola intersects the x-axis at most two times.

5. Are there any real-life applications of quadratic equations?

Yes, quadratic equations have many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, determining the maximum profit in business, and finding the optimal dimensions of a product. They are also used in various fields of science and technology for modeling and analyzing data.