Solving the Mystery of Quadratic Equations

In summary, the term "quadratic equation" comes from the Latin word for "square" as the variable is squared in the leading term. This term is also used because a rectangle with equal length and breadth has an area of x^2, making it a square. However, the term "quadratic" can also refer simply to "square" in Latin.
Wannabeagenius
Hi All,

I have a semantics question.

Why is the quadratic equation called what it is?

A polynomial of degree two is called a quadratic polymonial but I've always associated the root quad to mean four!

Thanks in advance.

Bob:smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
From wikipedia, "Quadratic equations are called quadratic because quadratus is Latin for "square"; in the leading term the variable is squared."

I always wondered that as well to be honest.

Well, what do you call a rectangle whose length is x and breadth is x, and whose area is x^2?

Not a..square?

If you get exercised over this sort of thing (I know I do!), you might find this website to be of interest:
http://pballew.net/etyindex.html

It notes that "quadratic" is from the Latin for "to make square" or, as Lamoid said, simple "square". Of course, a square has four sides which is where your use of the word is from.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning that the highest exponent of the variable is 2. It can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac))/2a. You can also factor the equation or use graphing methods to find the roots of the equation.

3. What are the methods used to solve quadratic equations?

The common methods used to solve quadratic equations are factoring, completing the square, quadratic formula, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and is useful depending on the specific equation.

4. Why are quadratic equations important?

Quadratic equations are important because they are used to solve many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also help in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and finding the maximum or minimum values of a function.

5. What are the real-life applications of quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations have various real-life applications, such as calculating the trajectory of projectiles, designing bridges and buildings, predicting the profit and loss in business, and modeling the spread of diseases. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic movements.