Solve Quadratic Equations with Alpha1 x Beta1 and Alpha2 x Beta2"

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing the equality alpha1 x alpha 2 = beta1 x beta2 in terms of alpha1 x beta1 and alpha2 x beta2, with the suggestion of using multiplication and the question of whether this can be done. The context is a test book for general math.
kasot.tope
express the following in terms of alpha1 x beta1 and alpha2 x beta2

alpha1 x alpha 2=beta1 x beta2

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\alpha_1\alpha_2= \beta_1\beta_2[/itex] gives
[tex]\frac{\alpha_1}{\beta_1}= \frac{\beta_2}{\alpha_2}[/tex]

or [itex]\alpha_1\beta_1^{-1}= \alpha_2^{-1}\beta_2[/itex]

but there is no way to express it in terms of the products [itex]\alpha_1\beta_1[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_2\beta_2[/itex].

Well you can still find out what [itex]\alpha_1\beta_1[/itex] is equal to in terms of the 4 variables.

start with [itex]\alpha_1\alpha_2=\beta_1\beta_2[/itex] and multiply both sides by [itex]\beta_1[/itex]

Mentallic said:
Well you can still find out what [itex]\alpha_1\beta_1[/itex] is equal to in terms of the 4 variables.

start with [itex]\alpha_1\alpha_2=\beta_1\beta_2[/itex] and multiply both sides by [itex]\beta_1[/itex]

That's like using a word in its own definition, but yes, it can be done.

Either that or we have to break it to the OP that we can't define that word :wink:

hmmm... i still need some one to help me with it

kasot.
There must be more to this problem. You are asking us to express an equality "in terms of" parts of that equality. It can be done, but we might be more helpful with more information.
1) where is this from?
2) is English your native language?
3) what course/class is this for?

The Chaz said:
kasot.
There must be more to this problem. You are asking us to express an equality "in terms of" parts of that equality. It can be done, but we might be more helpful with more information.
1) where is this from?
2) is English your native language?
3) what course/class is this for?

1) it is a question i saw in a test book am studying and it is not my course work
2) NO, BUT IT IS MY OFFICIAL LANGUAGE
3) it for general maths

Then my response would be your best bet at getting an answer.

1. What are "Alpha1 x Beta1" and "Alpha2 x Beta2" in a quadratic equation?

"Alpha1 x Beta1" and "Alpha2 x Beta2" are the terms used to represent the two solutions or roots of a quadratic equation. These terms are also known as the x-intercepts or zeros of the equation.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation with "Alpha1 x Beta1" and "Alpha2 x Beta2"?

To solve a quadratic equation with "Alpha1 x Beta1" and "Alpha2 x Beta2," you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a. Here, a, b, and c represent the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form of ax² + bx + c. Simply plug in the values for a, b, and c and solve for x.

3. Can "Alpha1 x Beta1" and "Alpha2 x Beta2" be complex numbers?

Yes, "Alpha1 x Beta1" and "Alpha2 x Beta2" can be complex numbers. This means they can have a real and imaginary component. It is possible to have two complex solutions for a quadratic equation, or one real solution and one complex solution.

4. How do I know if my quadratic equation has real solutions or complex solutions?

You can determine the nature of the solutions of a quadratic equation by looking at the discriminant, b² - 4ac. If the discriminant is positive, the equation will have two distinct real solutions. If the discriminant is zero, the equation will have one real solution. And if the discriminant is negative, the equation will have two complex solutions.

5. Can I use "Alpha1 x Beta1" and "Alpha2 x Beta2" to graph a quadratic equation?

Yes, you can use "Alpha1 x Beta1" and "Alpha2 x Beta2" to graph a quadratic equation. These values represent the x-intercepts of the graph. You can also use the vertex form of a quadratic equation, y = a(x - h)² + k, to graph the equation, where (h, k) is the vertex of the parabola.