Completing the Square: Solving Quadratic Equations Made Easy?

In summary, someone is having trouble solving quadratic equations and needs help. They first divide each side by the coefficient of x squared, then rewrite the equation with the constant on the right side. They complete the square by adding the square of one half of the coefficient of x to both sides. They equate the square root of the left side to the principle square root of the right side and their negative. They solve the resulting equations. Heres my problem, however; they can't seem to factor a number with a fraction in it. They are trying to figure out how to do it, but are stuck. Another way to do it is to half it, then square it. For the final answer, all they get is x=
DethRose
Hey

I have a test today and can't figure out how to solve certain quadratic equations.

We are doing solving the equations by completing the square using these steps:

1. divide each side by coefficient of x squared
2. rewrite the equation with the constant on right side
3. complete the square: add the square of one half of the coefficient of x to both sides
4. write the left side as a square and simplify the right side
5. equate the square root of the left side to the principle square root of the right side and its negative.
6. solve the 2 resulting equations.

Heres my problem:

2s squared+5s=3

heres what I am doing

s squared+5/2s=2/3

but when you hald 5/2 and then square it you get a fraction...how are you supposed to factor a number with a fraction in it?

help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to even think about the factorization. The thing added to [itex]x[/itex] in the factorization is always just half the coefficient of [itex]x[/itex] (including a negative sign, if the coefficient of [itex]x[/itex] has one!). You made a little mistake here anyways though, so:

[tex]2s^2 + 5s = 3 \Longrightarrow s^2 + \frac{5}{2}s = \frac{3}{2}[/tex]

[tex] \Longrightarrow s^2 + \frac{5}{2}s + \frac{25}{16} = \frac{3}{2}+\frac{25}{16}[/tex]

[tex] \Longrightarrow \left(s+\frac{5}{4}\right)^2 = \frac{49}{16}[/tex]

you can finish...

where did you get the 25/16 from?

by the way the answer is x=-3,1/2

[itex]25/16[/itex] is half of [itex]5/2[/itex] squared. If you solve from the point I left off, you'll get those answers~

5/2 squared is 25/4 how can 25/16 be half of it?

im not trying to say you don't know what your doing lol i just am still totally lost lol

Other way. You half it, then square it :smile:

for final answer all i get is x=5/4+ square root of 49/16
x=5/4- square root of 49/16

nevermind i got it

Here's a little explanation as to why, since you seem confused:

When you square a binomial, say, [itex]a+b[/itex], you get the following:

[tex](a+b)^2 = (a+b)(a+b) = a^2 + ab + ba + b^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2[/tex]

now, what happens if [itex]a = x[/itex]? Well, then this is

[tex]x^2 + 2bx + b^2.[/tex]

since we put no restrictions on [itex]b[/itex], we find that a polynomial

[tex]cx^2 + dx + z^2[/tex]

can be factored into a perfect square if and only if

[tex] z = \left(\frac{d}{2}\right) \Longrightarrow z^2 = \left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^2[/tex]

and that in this case,

[tex]cx^2 + dx + z^2 = (x+z)^2.[/tex]

so for your example, we want to do something to make the left side of

[tex]s^2 + \frac{5}{2}s = \frac{3}{2}[/tex]

into a perfect square. Well, here, on the left side, using the letters from above, [itex]c=1, \ d = 5/ 2, \ z = 0[/itex]. We need [itex] z = (d/2) = 5/4 \Longrightarrow z^2 = (d/2)^2 = (5/4)^2[/itex], so we add

[tex] \left( \frac{5/2}{2} \right)^2 = \left(\frac{5}{4}\right)^2 = \frac{25}{16}[/tex]

to each side, and thus it factors to

[tex](s+z)^2 = \left(s + \frac{5}{4}\right)^2.[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks...ok i tried to do the same thing for another of the same type question but got the wrong answer again lol.

3y squared=3y+2

so i did

3y squared-3y=2
y squared-y=2/3
y squared-y-2/4=2/3-2/4
(y-2/4)squared=1/6
y=2/4 +or- square root of 1/6

but the answer is x= 1/6 (3 +or- square root of 33)

DethRose said:
(...)y squared-y=2/3
y squared-y-2/4=2/3-2/4
(y-2/4)squared=1/6 (...)

No.

[tex] (a-b)^{2}=a^{2}-2ab+b^{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

i tried a different way to do it still no luck

3y squared-3y=2
y squared-y=2/3
y squared-y+1/4=2/3+1/4
y+1/2=square root of 11/12

i still get the wrong answer :grumpy:

anyone? lol

Of course

[tex] x^{2}-x+\frac{1}{4}=\left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)^{2} [/tex]

according to the formula i wrote above...

Daniel.

ok i changed it to that but i still get the wrong answer

now i get x=1/2 +or- square root of 11/12

the answer is supposed to be 1/6(3+or- square root of 33)

I little algebra may show you that the two (apparently different) real numbers are one & the same...

Daniel.

Your answer is correct. It's the same as theirs in a different form.

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \pm \sqrt{\frac{11}{12}} = \frac{1}{2} \pm \frac{\sqrt{11}}{2\sqrt{3}} [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{3}{2} \pm \frac{3}{2}\frac{\sqrt{11}}{\sqrt{3}}\right) = \frac{1}{6}\left(3 \pm \frac{3\sqrt{11}}{\sqrt{3}}\right)[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{6}\left( 3 \pm \sqrt{3}\sqrt{11}\right) = \frac{1}{6}\left(3 \pm \sqrt{33}\right)[/tex]

i see it now...thanks data you were a huge help

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a polynomial of degree 2 and can have two solutions or roots.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods to solve a quadratic equation, such as factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The most commonly used method is the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

3. What is the discriminant in a quadratic equation?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root, which is b^2 - 4ac. It is used to determine the nature of the solutions of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. If it is negative, there are no real solutions.

4. Can a quadratic equation have no solutions?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have no solutions if the discriminant is negative. In this case, the solutions are imaginary numbers. For example, the equation x^2 + 1 = 0 has no real solutions, but the solutions are ±i, where i is the imaginary unit.

5. How are quadratic equations used in real life?

Quadratic equations have many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, they can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the shape of a satellite's orbit, and the profit or loss of a business. They can also be used to solve optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a quantity.