Solving Quadratic Equations: (t-2)^2=36

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the problem (t-2)^2=36 and the different methods of solving it. The first method involves squaring t-2 and getting the answers t=8, -4, while the second method involves taking the square root of 36 and removing the power on t-2, resulting in t=8. The conversation also touches on the importance of taking absolute values when removing squares and finding another method to solve the problem.
1/2"
Hey there!
I just want to know that this problem
(t-2)^2=36
can be solved by squaring t-2 so we have the answer as t=8 ,-4
but suppose if I rather do like this that I square root 36 and remove the power on t-2
then

or t- 2= 6
or t=8
here also i get the 8 result but i don't get the -4 one.
But I think it isn't a wrong way to deal ,is it?:uhh:
I would be very much happy for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 1/2"
When you take the square root for both sides ,you are to take the absolute values when removing squares; that is t-2=6 or t-2=-6 so you will have
t=8 , t=-4 as you get.
Best regards
Riad Zaidan

Here's another way to look at this without absolute values.
(t - 2)2 = 36
<==> (t - 2)2 - 36 = 0
<==> ((t - 2) - 6)((t - 2) + 6) = 0
<==> (t - 8)(t + 4) = 0
<==> t = 8 or t = -4

Thanks a lot for helping !:smile::smile:

Hi Mark44 ,
The problem was in ((removing squares)) from both sides by taking square roots and not in finding another way to solve the problem. In general, thanks a lot for you...
Best Regards
Riad Zaidan
Al-Quds Open University

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called quadratic because the highest power of x is 2.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Another method is to factor the equation into two binomials and set each equal to 0. You can also use the method of completing the square or graph the equation to find the solution.

3. What does (t-2)^2=36 mean?

This equation means that the expression (t-2) is squared and its value is equal to 36. In other words, (t-2) is the square root of 36, which can be either positive or negative.

4. How do you solve (t-2)^2=36?

To solve this equation, you can first take the square root of both sides, giving you t-2 = ±√36. Then, you can solve for t by adding 2 to both sides, giving you t = 2 ± 6. This means that t can have two possible values: 8 or -4.

5. Can (t-2)^2=36 have more than two solutions?

No, this equation can only have two solutions. This is because the square root of a number only has two possible values: positive and negative. So, when you take the square root of both sides of the equation, there will only be two possible solutions for t.