1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic Equations

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    Need help solving some. I'll put up one for now.

a/b-x + b/a-x = 2

I'm just looking for how to solve it, because I always reach

2x^2 - 3ax - 3bx + a^2 + b^2 + 2ab = 0

and get stuck. Please show me your steps.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    That = 2x^2 -3(a+b)x + (a^2 + 2ab + b^2) = 0

Do you know the quadratic equation?

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    I know quadratic equations, but I'm getting stuck here, because I do not know how to solve for x.

I did establish the fact that 2x^2 -3(a+b)x + (a^2 + 2ab + b^2) = 0
    is correct because it follows ax^2 + bx + c.

Could you please help me out?

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What this means is probably different from what you intended. When you write fractions in a single line of text, use parentheses if the numerator or denominator have more than one term.

What you wrote would be interpreted as this:
    [tex]\frac{a}{b - x} + \frac{b}{a - x} = 2[/tex]
    I get something different - different coefficients for the two terms in x, and different signs for the a^2 and b^2 terms. Check your work.

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

2x^2 -3(a+b)x + (a^2 + 2ab + b^2) = 0 IS a quadratic equation. The question should be: Do you know the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula gives solutions to the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Since both the quadratic formula and the equation above use a and b, be careful in what you call a, b, and c in the quadratic formula.

As already noted, some of the coefficients in the OP's equation are incorrect.

Also, since the equation in the original post involved division by a - x and b - x, it should be stated explicitly that x can't be a, and x can't be b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook