Solve Quadratic Equations: Formula & Factoring

In summary, the basics of executing a quadratic equation include using the quadratic formula and factoring. The quadratic formula involves finding the zeros of a parabola, while factoring can be done in either general or standard form. Both methods involve plugging in the appropriate parameters.
Problem+Solve=Reason
I just need to know the basics of 2 ways to excecute a quadratic equation...: Quadratic formula and factoring. Thankyou!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Problem+Solve=Reason said:
I just need to know the basics of 2 ways to excecute a quadratic equation...: Quadratic formula and factoring. Thankyou!
Can you factorise? (or is this what you mean by factoring?)

E.g. Could I give you [tex]x^2+5x+6[/tex] and you would end up with [tex](x+2)(x+3)[/tex]?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Yep, us colonials say "factoring" rather than "factorize"!

(Of course, when I saw "2 ways to execute a quadratic equation" my first thought was "firing squad and hanging"!)

HallsofIvy said:
Yep, us colonials say "factoring" rather than "factorize"!
Sorry. My schools have always said it was factorising.

HallsofIvy said:
(Of course, when I saw "2 ways to execute a quadratic equation" my first thought was "firing squad and hanging"!)
LoL. I know. There is an easy way and a way that allows you to do the easy way. :tongue2:

The Bob (2004 ©)

u should try factoring first, it's easier if it work, if not use the quadratic equation

Can anyone explain why when you factorise and use the quadratic equation the answers have different signs?
Lets say for x^2 + 5x + 4
If i do it by factoring the answer would be (x+4)(x+1)
However, if done by the quadratic equation the answer would be (x-4)(x-1) which doesn't work when u multiply them out.
The signs are reversed.
Thanks alot! I need to explain this to my sis...Should I tell her to reverse her answers if she does it by the quadratic equation?

Yawie

Last edited by a moderator:
yawie said:
Can anyone explain why when you factorise and use the quadratic equation the answers have different signs?
Lets say for x^2 + 5x + 4
If i do it by factoring the answer would be (x+4)(x+1)
However, if done by the quadratic equation the answer would be (x-4)(x-1) which doesn't work when u multiply them out.
The signs are reversed.
Thanks alot! I need to explain this to my sis...Should I tell her to reverse her answers if she does it by the quadratic equation?

Yawie
Do you even KNOW what you mean by "the answer"??
The correct "answer" to any question does NOT depend on which method you use to answer it!

What question are you trying to answer?

IF you are trying to answer the question, "What are the linear factors of
x2+ 5x+ 4?" then you could note that 4 can be factored as 2*2 or as 4*1. 2+ 2= 4 while 4+1= 5 so you conclude that x2+ 5x+ 4= (x+4)(x+1).
To use the "quadratic formula", you would convert to the EQUATION x2+ 5x+ 4= 0 to which the quadratic formula gives roots [itex]\frac{-5+/-\sqrt{25-4*4*1}{2*1}= \frac{-5+/- 3}{2}[/itex]= -1 and -4. Of course, you would then recall that roots a and b mean that (x-a)(x-b) are the factors of the polynomial. Since your roots are -1 and -4, your factors are x-(-1)= x+1 and x-(-4)= x+4. x2= (x+1)(x+4) just as you got by factoring.

IF the question is "What are the roots of x2+ 5x+ 4= 0?" (or, equivalently, "What are the zeroes of x2+ 5x+ 4?", then the quadratic formula gives the roots directly: x= -1 and x= -4 make that polynomial equal to 0.

By "factoring", you determine that x2+ 5x+ 4= (x+4)(x+1)= 0. Of course, the only way a product of numbers can be equal to 0 is if one or the other is 0: either x+ 4= 0 or x+ 1= 0, from that you conclude that either x= -4 or x= -1, just as with the quadratic formula.

So: exactly WHAT problem are you trying to solve?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't really know what the questions were...I was just trying to help my sis...
but you answered the question...when you said x+4 = 0 is when you factor and when you use the quadratic equation you get x=-4...Now I know how to explain it to her...thanks!
I didn't realize the questions were differently phrased...
THanks!

what about completing the square? if you have say x^2 + 5x + 4 = 0, you could write it as x^2 + 5x = -4, then complete the square by adding the square of 5/2 to get

x^2 + 5x + 25/4 = 25/4 -4 = 9/4. then take square roots of both sides to get

(x+5/2)^2 = 3/2. so x+5/2 = 3/2 or -3/2. so x = -5/2 + 3/2 = -2/2 = -1, or x = -5/2 - 3/2 = -8/2 = -4.

Problem+Solve=Reason said:
Parabola
General form:

[tex]f(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

Quadratic Formula for Zeros:

[tex]x_1x_2=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{(b^2)-(4ac)}}{2a}[/tex]

For Standard form

[tex]f(x)=a(x-h)^2+k[/tex]

Formula:
[tex]x_1x_2=h\pm\sqrt{\frac{-k}{a}}[/tex]

Just plug in the parameters.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation of the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called quadratic because the highest power of the variable is squared (²).

2. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve quadratic equations. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula can be used to find the solutions (or roots) of any quadratic equation.

3. How do you solve a quadratic equation using the formula?

To solve a quadratic equation using the formula, you need to first identify the values of a, b, and c in the equation. Then, plug these values into the formula and simplify. The resulting values for x are the solutions to the equation.

4. What is factoring and how is it used to solve quadratic equations?

Factoring is a method used to break down a quadratic equation into simpler expressions. This is done by finding two numbers that when multiplied together, give the constant term (c) and when added together, give the coefficient of the middle term (b). These numbers can then be used to write the equation in factored form, making it easier to solve.

5. When should I use the quadratic formula versus factoring to solve a quadratic equation?

The quadratic formula can be used to solve any quadratic equation, regardless of its complexity. However, factoring is generally faster and easier to use for simpler equations. If the equation can be easily factored, it is recommended to do so. Otherwise, the quadratic formula should be used.