1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic Equations

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    [tex]y=4x^2-8x-5[/tex] Find the coordinates of the turning point of the curve. Where do I even start?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With the definition of turning point.

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3
    I don't know that.

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, then, that's where you need to start. What does your book have to say, or your notes?

(Incidentally, what level math is this?)

6. Jan 10, 2005 #5
    My book doesn't say anything about the definition of a turning point. I'm in grade 9.

7. Jan 10, 2005 #6
    If you mean the minimi/maximi-point of the curve, you can set the derivate equal to zero and solve. Wait a minute, it must be an another way... Try to completting the square on the function...

8. Jan 10, 2005 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where did you see the problem?

If I had to guess what it meant, I would say the point where the graph of the polynomial stops going downwards and starts going upwards. Since it's a parabola, that would be its vertex.

9. Jan 10, 2005 #8
    Oh Yes!! Now that you guys mention that, I know what to do now :rolleyes: Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?