Solve Quadratic Equations: Find |a-b| for n=a,b

In summary, the equation x^2 - (2n+18)x - n - 11 = 0 has rational roots for n=a and n=b. To find the value of |a-b|, the discriminant must be a perfect square and the equation must be greater than 0. Using the absolute value trick with the square root, the solution for |a-b| can be found.
erisedk

Homework Statement

If roots of the equation x^2 - (2n+18)x - n - 11 = 0 (n is an integer) are rational for n=a and n=b then |a-b| is
Ans: 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On substituting a (or b) into the quadratic, the roots are rational.
If the roots are rational, then the discriminant must be a perfect square (and positive).
Hence, (2a+18)^2 + 4(a+11) = k^2
On simplifying,
a^2 + 19a + 92 = k^2 and a^2 + 19a + 92 > 0

What do I do after this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you subtract the b version from the a version, simplify and then see if you can get the absolute value answer?

Perhaps the absolute value trick of using the square root will help?

abs(x) = sqrt(x^2)

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a polynomial equation of degree 2, which means the highest power of the variable is 2.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

3. What is the absolute value of a number?

The absolute value of a number is its distance from zero on a number line. It is always a positive value, so for example, the absolute value of -5 is 5, and the absolute value of 5 is also 5.

4. How do I find the absolute value of a difference between two numbers?

To find the absolute value of a difference between two numbers, you simply subtract one number from the other and then take the absolute value of the result. For example, to find the absolute value of the difference between 5 and 3, you would calculate |5-3|, which is equal to 2.

5. How do I use the given formula n=a,b to find |a-b|?

The formula n=a,b represents two possible values for n, which are a and b. To find |a-b|, you simply subtract b from a and then take the absolute value of the result. In other words, |a-b| = |a-b|.