1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic Exponential question

1. Jun 12, 2005 #1
    This was on a test but I couldn't quite solve for x:

[tex]5^2^x + 4(5)^x = -3[/tex]

let [itex]5^x = y[/itex]

[tex]y^2 + 4y + 3 = 0[/tex]
    [tex](y + 1)(y + 3) = 0[/tex]

So I end up with [itex]5^x = -1[/itex] or [itex]5^x = -3[/itex], but I don't think that makes sense... what am I doing wrong? It must be something dumb I'm doing :shy:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you haven't done anything wrong? What would that imply?

4. Jun 12, 2005 #3
    Ehh I was kind of worried about that... I guess it could imply I suck at logs? :tongue:

I would continue by taking the log of both sides, but as far as I know you cannot take the log of a negative number... my calculator agrees with me. :biggrin:

Overall, I don't know what this means.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  5. Jun 12, 2005 #4
    It meons there's no real number x that is the root of this function... Think of it this way, which power of 5(a positive number) would give you -1 or -3?

6. Jun 12, 2005 #5
    How would I work it out to get an answer? All we've been taught on complex numbers (if that's what you're implying) is that i is the square root of negative one.

7. Jun 12, 2005 #6
    What he's saying is that there is no value for x that satisfies that equation.

8. Jun 12, 2005 #7
    Why would this be on my grade 11 math exam then? :mad:

9. Jun 12, 2005 #8
    I don't know, but surely you can see that there's no power x that you can raise 5 to to get a negative number, not even a negative one. Your working at the top was correct.

10. Jun 12, 2005 #9

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well it's an interesting problem for me. There are no solutions with "real numbers" but there are two complex-number solutions which perhaps it's best to not worry about now unless you want to know how to find them.

11. Jun 12, 2005 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Presumably to test if you can identify when equations have no solutions. :tongue2:

12. Jun 12, 2005 #11
    Crazy! Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?