• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Quadratic Exponential question

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
This was on a test but I couldn't quite solve for x:

[tex]5^2^x + 4(5)^x = -3[/tex]

let [itex]5^x = y[/itex]

[tex]y^2 + 4y + 3 = 0[/tex]
[tex](y + 1)(y + 3) = 0[/tex]

So I end up with [itex]5^x = -1[/itex] or [itex]5^x = -3[/itex], but I don't think that makes sense... what am I doing wrong? It must be something dumb I'm doing :shy:

Last edited:

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maybe you haven't done anything wrong? What would that imply?

Hurkyl said:
Maybe you haven't done anything wrong? What would that imply?
Ehh I was kind of worried about that... I guess it could imply I suck at logs? :tongue:

I would continue by taking the log of both sides, but as far as I know you cannot take the log of a negative number... my calculator agrees with me. :biggrin:

Overall, I don't know what this means.

Last edited:
It meons there's no real number x that is the root of this function... Think of it this way, which power of 5(a positive number) would give you -1 or -3?

wisredz said:
It meons there's no real number x that is the root of this function... Think of it this way, which power of 5(a positive number) would give you -1 or -3?
How would I work it out to get an answer? All we've been taught on complex numbers (if that's what you're implying) is that i is the square root of negative one.

cscott said:
How would I work it out to get an answer? All we've been taught on complex numbers (if that's what you're implying) is that i is the square root of negative one.
What he's saying is that there is no value for x that satisfies that equation.

Nylex said:
What he's saying is that there is no value for x that satisfies that equation.
Why would this be on my grade 11 math exam then? :mad:

cscott said:
Why would this be on my grade 11 math exam then? :mad:
I don't know, but surely you can see that there's no power x that you can raise 5 to to get a negative number, not even a negative one. Your working at the top was correct.

saltydog

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well it's an interesting problem for me. There are no solutions with "real numbers" but there are two complex-number solutions which perhaps it's best to not worry about now unless you want to know how to find them.

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why would this be on my grade 11 math exam then?
Presumably to test if you can identify when equations have no solutions. :tongue2:

Hurkyl said:
Presumably to test if you can identify when equations have no solutions. :tongue2:
Crazy! Anyway, thanks for all your help.