Quadratic Exponential question

In summary, the author is having trouble solving for x and they are unsure of why this would be on their grade 11 math exam. They mention that there are two complex number solutions that we should not worry about right now.
cscott
This was on a test but I couldn't quite solve for x:

[tex]5^2^x + 4(5)^x = -3[/tex]

let [itex]5^x = y[/itex]

[tex]y^2 + 4y + 3 = 0[/tex]
[tex](y + 1)(y + 3) = 0[/tex]

So I end up with [itex]5^x = -1[/itex] or [itex]5^x = -3[/itex], but I don't think that makes sense... what am I doing wrong? It must be something dumb I'm doing :shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you haven't done anything wrong? What would that imply?

Hurkyl said:
Maybe you haven't done anything wrong? What would that imply?

Ehh I was kind of worried about that... I guess it could imply I suck at logs? :tongue:

I would continue by taking the log of both sides, but as far as I know you cannot take the log of a negative number... my calculator agrees with me. :biggrin:

Overall, I don't know what this means.

Last edited:
It meons there's no real number x that is the root of this function... Think of it this way, which power of 5(a positive number) would give you -1 or -3?

wisredz said:
It meons there's no real number x that is the root of this function... Think of it this way, which power of 5(a positive number) would give you -1 or -3?

How would I work it out to get an answer? All we've been taught on complex numbers (if that's what you're implying) is that i is the square root of negative one.

cscott said:
How would I work it out to get an answer? All we've been taught on complex numbers (if that's what you're implying) is that i is the square root of negative one.

What he's saying is that there is no value for x that satisfies that equation.

Nylex said:
What he's saying is that there is no value for x that satisfies that equation.

Why would this be on my grade 11 math exam then? :mad:

cscott said:
Why would this be on my grade 11 math exam then? :mad:

I don't know, but surely you can see that there's no power x that you can raise 5 to to get a negative number, not even a negative one. Your working at the top was correct.

Well it's an interesting problem for me. There are no solutions with "real numbers" but there are two complex-number solutions which perhaps it's best to not worry about now unless you want to know how to find them.

Why would this be on my grade 11 math exam then?

Presumably to test if you can identify when equations have no solutions. :tongue2:

Hurkyl said:
Presumably to test if you can identify when equations have no solutions. :tongue2:

Crazy! Anyway, thanks for all your help.

What is a quadratic exponential question?

A quadratic exponential question is a type of mathematical problem that involves an equation with both a quadratic term (x^2) and an exponential term (a^x).

How do you solve a quadratic exponential question?

To solve a quadratic exponential question, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. You may also need to use logarithms to solve for the variable.

What are some real-life applications of quadratic exponential equations?

Quadratic exponential equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, and biology to model growth and decay phenomena. For example, the spread of a disease, the growth of a population, or the depreciation of an asset can all be modeled using quadratic exponential equations.

What is the difference between a quadratic exponential equation and a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation only has a quadratic term (x^2), while a quadratic exponential equation also has an exponential term (a^x). This makes the solution to a quadratic exponential equation more complex and often involves the use of logarithms.

Are there any special properties of quadratic exponential equations?

Yes, quadratic exponential equations have a unique shape when graphed called a "quadratic exponential curve." This curve has a steep initial increase or decrease, followed by a gradual leveling off as x approaches infinity or negative infinity.