1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic Formula: Negative in root?

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    What do you do when Root(b^2-4ac) is negative? because you can't have a negative under a root right?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the discriminant is negative then the quadratic equation has no real valued roots. However, in some applications defining the square root of a negative number is very useful. Such numbers are called "imaginary" or "complex" numbers. If you haven't learned about them yet then it's possible you made a numerical error (I am assuming this is from a school assignment).

4. Dec 7, 2004 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The quadratic has no real roots, meaning that there are no real numbers that satisfy the equation ax2 + bx + c = 0. The roots are complex numbers. Have you encountered complex numbers before? In general, a complex number z can be expressed as a combination of a real and an imaginary number: z = a + bi, which makes sense because imaginary numbers are numbers that, when squared, yield a negative real number. They are multiples of the imaginary number i, which is defined as follows:

[tex] i = \sqrt{-1} [/tex]

However, if you have encountered your negative discriminant in a quadratic whose solution represents some physical situation, then you have made an error, because the solution must be real. (It is a "real" situation after all, "imaginary" numbers have no place.)

Edit: oops...that's exactly what Tide posted...I guess just while I was composing this :redface:

5. Dec 7, 2004 #4
    well i was trying to factor and find roots for x^2-2x+4=0, then i get a negative under the root.

6. Dec 7, 2004 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you should get something like this if you factor over the complex numbers.

[tex]x^2 - 2x + 4 = \left(x - 1 + i \sqrt 3\right) \left(x - 1 - i \sqrt 3\right)[/tex]

If that doesn't mean anything to you then go back and be sure you are doing the right problem!

7. Dec 7, 2004 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you haven't seen complex numbers yet, your question could still be fine. Negative under the root just means there are no real roots and your polynomial cannot be factored (over the real numbers). Not every equation will have solutions, "no real roots" is an acceptible response.

It might be a good idea to see what it means in terms of the graph to have no real roots. To make this easier, you can complete the square [tex]x^2-2x+4=(x-1)^2+3[/tex] and see it's just a shift of the plain old [tex]x^2[/tex] graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?