Calculating Building Height Using the Quadratic Formula

In summary, The physics student dropped a watermelon from a building of height H and heard the sound of the watermelon hitting the ground after a time interval of Delta T. To find the height of the building, the student used the quadratic formula and combined two terms to get three terms in the form of a quadratic equation. However, the student encountered difficulty in solving for H as they were unsure of how to plug in their values for a, b, and c. After further clarification, the student was able to determine that a should be 1/Vs^2.
ssb

Homework Statement

A physics student with too much free time drops a watermelon from the roof of a building height H. He hears the sound of the watermelon going "splat" after a time interval of Delta T.
You may ignore air resistance. How high is the building? The speed of sound is Vs.

Homework Equations

Quadratic formula
physics

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok T = T1 +T2 = H/Vs + sqrt(2H/g)

(T - H/Vs)^2 = 2H/g

Therefore

T^2 - (2TH/Vs) + (H/Vs)^2 - 2H/g = 0

I want to solve for H.
How do I plug this into the quadratic formula so that I can solve for H? I am only used to there being 3 terms in the poly nomial (like x^2 + x + 4). I am thinking I have to combine the -(2TH/Vs) and -2H/g somehow but I don't know how! Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you combine the two terms, and take out the H. That will leave you with three terms in the form of a quadratic equation.

hage567 said:
Yes, you combine the two terms, and take out the H. That will leave you with three terms in the form of a quadratic equation.

Ok I combined them and got H (-2t/Vs - 2/g)

So tell me if this is correct

a = 1/Vs

b = (-2t/Vs - 2/g)

c = t^2

Because when I plug that in as an answer it comes back wrong.

One thing I see is that a should be 1/Vs^2.

What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to solve quadratic equations, which are equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a.

How do you use the quadratic formula to solve a problem?

To use the quadratic formula, first identify the values of a, b, and c in the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Then, plug those values into the formula x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. Finally, solve for x using basic algebraic operations.

What if the discriminant is negative?

If the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is negative, there are no real solutions to the quadratic equation. This means that the graph of the equation does not intersect the x-axis and the equation has no real roots.

What is the significance of the ± symbol in the quadratic formula?

The ± symbol in the quadratic formula indicates that there are two possible solutions to the equation. When solving for x, you will need to calculate both the positive and negative values of the square root in order to find both solutions.

What are some real-world applications of the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula can be used to solve problems involving projectile motion, such as calculating the trajectory of a thrown object. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving motion and forces.