Solving Quadratic Equation: Explaining Why "a" Must be Equal to 1

In summary, When finding the roots of a quadratic equation, it is important to remember to include the leading coefficient in the factored form of the equation. If the roots are complex, the factored form will have a leading coefficient that is not a real number.
FrogPad
Umm... I guess I don't remember this from algebra, but I have a rather basic question.

Let's say you have the expression,
[tex] f(x) = 4x^2 + 5x + 1 [/tex]

And we want to find the roots.

So,

[tex] \frac{-5 \pm \sqrt{5-4(4)}}{2(4)}= \{ \frac{1}{2},-1 \} [/tex]

Now, if we plug these into [itex] f(x) [/itex] we have:
[tex] f(1/2) = 9/2 [/tex]
[tex] f(-1) = 0 [/tex]

So obviously the quadratic equation does not yield the roots. But if we let [itex] a=1 [/itex].

[tex] 4(x^2+\frac{5}{4}x+\frac{1}{4}) [/tex]
Again, using the quadratic:
[tex] x = \{ -1,-\frac{1}{4} \} [/tex]

So now plugging this into [itex] f(x) [/itex]

[tex] f(x) = 4(x^2+\frac{5}{4}x+\frac{1}{4}) [/tex]

yields:
[tex] f(-1) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] f(\frac{-1}{4}) = 0 [/tex]

So what gives. I don't think I was ever taught that "a" has to be equal to 1 for it to hold.

If someone could clarify why this is that would be awesome. I seem to remember something about completing the square, but the thing is, is I have an engineering test on Thursday, and the last thing I want to be using my time on is figuring out why this is. But I'm curious :smile:

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FrogPad said:
Let's say you have the expression,
[tex] f(x) = 4x^2 + 5x + 1 [/tex]

And we want to find the roots.

So,

[tex] \frac{-5 \pm \sqrt{-4(4)}}{2(4)}= \{ \frac{1}{2},-1 \} [/tex]

Recheck your quadratic equation. It should be:
[tex] \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}}{2a} [/tex]

You forgot to take the sqrt of b^2 - 4ac :smile:

Last edited:
You can also try to complete the square or find the numbers m, n such as m*n = c and m+n = b when a = 1 .

Last edited:
mbrmbrg said:
Recheck your quadratic equation. It should be:
[tex] \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}}{2a} [/tex]

You forgot to take the sqrt of b^2 - 4ac :smile:

:blushing:

Ok, cool... so I'm not crazy. It works fine for the reals. Now when I get complex conjugates, it seems to be a different story. Please tell me I'm making a simple mistake again ! :cry:

[tex] f(s) = 10s^2 + 10s + 40 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{-10 \pm \sqrt{100-4(10)(40)}}{2(10)}=\frac{-10 \pm\sqrt{-1500}}{2(10)} = \ldots [/tex]
[tex] \ldots = \left\{ \frac{-1}{2} + \frac{\sqrt{15}}{2}j \,\, , \,\, \frac{-1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{15}}{2}j \right\} = \{ \lambda_1 \,\, , \,\, \lambda_2 \} [/tex]
[tex] f(\lambda_1) = f(\lambda_2) = 0 [/tex]
So that's cool. But what about,

[tex] (s-\lambda_1)(s-\lambda_2)=s^2+s+4 [/tex]

If the roots were real then wouldn't that equal the original function. Maybe I'm doing drugs, because I can't believe I'm getting caught up with this right now

It works fine for complex roots.

In your examples of s^2+s+4 and 10s^2+10s+40, remember if u and v are roots of a polynomial ax^2+bx+c, then

ax^2+bx+c=a*(x-u)*(x-v)

it's not just a product over factors corresponding to the roots, you need to take care of the leading coefficient as well.

shmoe said:
ax^2+bx+c=a*(x-u)*(x-v)

it's not just a product over factors corresponding to the roots, you need to take care of the leading coefficient as well.

:cool:

Ahh, that's what I was missing! Thanks man. I can't believe I forgot that :mad:

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable. It represents a parabola when graphed and has two solutions.

2. Why does "a" have to be equal to 1 in a quadratic equation?

The coefficient "a" in a quadratic equation determines the shape and direction of the parabola. When a = 1, the parabola opens upwards and has a smooth, symmetrical curve. If a is not equal to 1, the parabola will be stretched or compressed, making it more difficult to find the solutions.

3. What happens if "a" is not equal to 1 in a quadratic equation?

If "a" is not equal to 1, the parabola will be stretched or compressed, making it more difficult to find the solutions. This can also affect the number of solutions the equation has. If a > 0, the parabola opens upwards and has two real solutions. If a < 0, the parabola opens downwards and has no real solutions.

4. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can also factor the equation or use the completing the square method. It is important to remember to set the equation equal to 0 before solving.

5. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can have a maximum of two solutions. This is because a parabola intersects the x-axis at most two times. If the equation has no real solutions, it means the parabola does not intersect the x-axis at all. If the equation has two equal solutions, it means the parabola touches the x-axis at one point.