1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic Functions

1. Nov 17, 2003 #1
    2 questions

1.can a quadratic function be just set to 1 number e.g. 5 or can it be a bigger number. at the moment im working on numbers below 10 to get used to the formulas.

2. is this correct how i am doing it?

formula

N --> N2--> 3N2 + 4

e.g.

N =5

5 x 5 = 25 = N2

5 x 25 = 75 = 3N2

N = 79 answer

is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your questions are awkwardly written but I think what you want is:

given y= ax2+ bx+ c, you can choose x to be any number you want, then calculate y.

In particular, if y= 3N2+ 4, you would, just as you say, first, find N2, then multiply by 3, then add 4.

4. Nov 17, 2003 #3
    thats it, yea im still practicing the equations. i thought Y2 were that if you had Y = 5 then Y2. Then to find Y2 we multiply the 5 by in this case Y2 to get 25 as Y2 would be 25 then mutliply 3N2 by the 25 to get 75 + 4 to get 79

is that ok?:smile:

5. Nov 18, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm assuming that English is not your native language so I won't be quite as harsh as I could be!

Much of this makes no since at all: "i thought Y2 were that if you had Y = 5 then Y2." Then what?? I assume you meant to write "then Y2= 52".

But you also write "Then to find Y2 we multiply the 5 by in this case Y2". No, you multiply 5 by itself- that's what "2" means.

"then mutliply 3N2 by the 25". No, "N2" is 25. You only multiply the 3 by 25. By the way, it's a really, really bad idea to suddenly switch from "Y" to "N".

To calculate 3N2+ 4, for N= 5, you replace the N by 5:
    3(5)2+ 4= 3(25)+ 4= 75+ 4= 79.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?