Newbie Needs Help Solving Equations

In summary, the conversation discussed different strategies for solving equations given two equations with two variables. Some approaches mentioned include isolating one variable and using the resulting equation in the other equation to solve for the remaining variable, drawing a graph to determine the number of solutions, and using a calculator or software program for more accurate plots. The original poster also expressed uncertainty about solving these types of equations and asked for help from the community.
bambino9
hi everyone! I am new to this site and hope you can help me out a little :)

This is a homework question but am unsure how to do these types of equations

y = - x + 5
y = x² - 16 x + 59

x= and y= or x= and y=

could someone tell me how you go about doing these equations?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The general method for this type of problem is to isolate one variable, then use the resulting equation in the second equation to solve for the single remaining variable.

Give it a try and show us what you are doing.

another approach, given "easy" equations is to draw the equations on X,Y plane and see how many intersections you get. the number of intersection is the number of (x,y) answers you'll get.
i.e. if you're drawing shows no intersections this means you got no answer...

greytomato said:
another approach, given "easy" equations is to draw the equations on X,Y plane and see how many intersections you get. the number of intersection is the number of (x,y) answers you'll get.
i.e. if you're drawing shows no intersections this means you got no answer...

Yeah a rough sketch will show how many solutions you will have. As for solving equations graphically, that's something I hate :yuck: . As intergral said, you would usually isolate one variable, then solve for that variable. Start by trying to make one equation from the two you are given.

bambino9 said:
hi everyone! I am new to this site and hope you can help me out a little :)

This is a homework question but am unsure how to do these types of equations

y = - x + 5
y = x² - 16 x + 59

x= and y= or x= and y=

could someone tell me how you go about doing these equations?

Thanks

Since y= both -x+ 5 and x2- 16x+ 59, them must be equal to each other: x2- 16x+ 59= -x+ 5. Solve that for x, then put those values into y= -x+ 5 to find the corresponding y.

there will be equations fom which you cannot isolate X nor Y.
there is where the sketch comes in :)

greytomato said:
there will be equations fom which you cannot isolate X nor Y.
there is where the sketch comes in :)

Yeah I know, but I still hate sketching graphs...could be the fact that I can't draw...:rolleyes:

Looks like we are talking to ourselfs on this one. The OP has not been back since the origianal posts.

Please refrain from further responses until the OP comes back.

Hootenanny said:
Yeah I know, but I still hate sketching graphs...could be the fact that I can't draw...:rolleyes:

A hand drawn plot? I thought everyone just used their calculator these days?

Integral said:
A hand drawn plot? I thought everyone just used their calculator these days?

I'm still using a bog standard scientific calculator, only one step away from the abacus! If I want anything resembling an accurate plot I usually use autograph.

Where have you gone, bambino?

1. What are equations?

Equations are mathematical expressions that use symbols, variables, and operations to represent a relationship between quantities.

2. How do I solve equations?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation to both sides of the equation until the variable is alone on one side.

3. What are the different types of equations?

There are many types of equations, including linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and more. Each type has its own unique properties and methods for solving.

4. What is the order of operations in equations?

The order of operations in equations is the same as in regular math: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).

5. What are some common mistakes when solving equations?

Some common mistakes when solving equations include not following the correct order of operations, forgetting to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation, and making errors in simplifying expressions.