1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic homework

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    I was given a bunch of quadratic homework and I'm stuck on a few problems:

"Brendan buys a black of shares for $1895. When the share price goes up by $4/share, he sells all but 15 of them for $1740. How many shares did he buy?"

I got the equation [tex]\frac{1895}{x} - \frac{1740}{x + 4} = 15[/tex] but I worked it out and I don't get the answer (~73).

"A rectangular field has a perimeter 500 m and an area 14 400 m^2. Find the lengths of its sides."

[tex]l * w = 14 400[/tex]
    [tex]2l + 2w = 500[/tex]
    Not sure what to do from here...

Thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How on earth did you get your first equation??
    It is, as far as I can see, totally wrong.

Let "P" be the initial price for one share, and "x" the number of shares originally bought.
    Then, the information given can be written as:

We therefore have [tex]P=\frac{1895}{x}[/tex]
    This yields a quadratic in x you can solve.
  4. Mar 20, 2005 #3

And the second problem you have set up right and is now simply solving a system of linear equations. Solve one of the eqns for one variable ... substitute ... sound familiar?
  5. Mar 20, 2005 #4
    Yeah, I had worked it out like that earlier and didn't get the right answer, but I realize now it was just a dumb mistake.

There is one last part of a question I can't get:

"Given [itex]kx^2+(k+3)x+(3-4k) = 0[/itex]. Find the value of k if
    c) one of the roots is 2"

Thanks for your help, both of you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  6. Mar 20, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Notice that in the first equation you gave:[tex]\frac{1895}{x} - \frac{1740}{x + 4} = 15[/tex], The numerator of each fraction on the left is an amount of money: dollars, while the denominator is the number of shares bought: each fraction is "dollars per share".

Actually, that's not quite correct because I assume you got the "4" from "$4/share" and you can't add "shares" to "dollars per share". You CAN subtract "shares" from "shares", of course, so I feel sure that what you intended was the second denominator to be "x- 15": the number of shares less the number NOT sold: the number of shares sold. Of course, then, the right hand side of the equation must also be in "dollars per share": $4/share would work nicely. Looks to me like the equation you intended to write was [tex]\frac{1895}{x} - \frac{1740}{x -15} = 4[/tex].
    Solve that for x.
  7. Mar 20, 2005 #6
    You're right, that was what I was going for. I had a typo in it earlier (x + 1 instead of x + 4), which was what made arildno react the way he did :p
  8. Mar 21, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yeah, I guess I overreacted a bit. Sorry..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?