Quadratic Equations in Two Variables: How Many Solutions?

In summary, the equation can be written as (x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2 + 8 = xy on opening the brackets and completing the square. Beyond this, I really don't know what to do. Hit and trial doesn't seem to work very well either.I'd have started by considering what sort of objects the LHS and the RHS are ...One side is a hyperbola, the other is a line. So, we are talking about the intersection of a line with a hyperbola. What beyond that?What if you set the whole thing equal to zero and found solutions?Why would I want to do that? I can't just arbitrarily assign something a value.The way
erisedk

Homework Statement

Given x^2 - xy + y^2 = 4(x+y-4) where x, y both are real then the number of pairs (x, y) satisfying the equation will be

(A) Only one
(B) Two
(C) Three
(D) No pair

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation can be written as (x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2 + 8 = xy on opening the brackets and completing the square.
Beyond this, I really don't know what to do. Hit and trial doesn't seem to work very well either.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd have started by considering what sort of objects the LHS and the RHS are ...

One side is a hyperbola, the other is a line. So, we are talking about the intersection of a line with a hyperbola. What beyond that?

What if you set the whole thing equal to zero and found solutions?

Why would I want to do that? I can't just arbitrarily assign something a value.

The way I drew this one out was using your expansion ##(x-2)^2+(y-2)^2 = R^2 = xy - 8 ##. Where ##R^2## is the radius of the circle. Drawing the two function as you vary ##z=R^2## makes some telling plots.

Another method would be to let ##f(x,y)=(x-2)^2+(y-2)^2-xy+8## and use the derivative to find a set of critical points. These may also be helpful in determining when this relation could be true.

One side is a hyperbola, the other is a line. So, we are talking about the intersection of a line with a hyperbola. What beyond that?
Well you need to know when one side is equal to the other side ... note: how do you figure a line and a hyperbola? What happens when you plot z(x,y) for just one side?

Note: putting the relation in form f(x,y)=0 gives you a family of curves.

What we are doing here is trying to jog your recollection of something in your coursework.
Have you not just been learning about techniques for dealing with this sort of thing?

Last edited:
If this were a standard hyperbola, I could probably figure out the points of intersection between a line and a hyperbola. However, this is not a standard hyperbola. So, I don't know.

Solve for x in terms of y, and you'll see the answer immediately.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Solve for x in terms of y, and you'll see the answer immediately.

Chet
How do I deal with the xy term when trying to solve for x?

erisedk said:

You're missing something that perhaps not a lot of people notice. Suppose you have a quadratic equation:

##x^2 + bx + c = 0## with solution ##x= \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4c}}{2}##

Well, you can look at b & c as variables. And you could re-interpret this equation as:

##f(x, b, c) = x^2 + bx + c = 0##

You are reluctant to treat "y" as a "constant", because y is a "variable". But, maybe there's no so much difference. So, if you replace b & c with y and z you get:

##f(x, y, z) = x^2 + xy + z = 0## and this still has solutions ##x= \frac{-y \pm \sqrt{y^2-4z}}{2}##

Likes erisedk
erisedk said:
You're solving for x in terms of y, so it's an ordinary quadratic in x. Use the quadratic formula.

Chet

On treating y as a 'constant' and simplifying, I get
x= { y+4 ± √(3(y-4)(4-y)) }/ 2 ----- (1)
(y-4)(4-y) ≥ 0
-(y-4)^2 ≥ 0
(y-4)^2 ≤ 0
Since a square can only be zero or positive,
y-4 = 0
So, y=4.

So, the entire root part of (1) goes out.
So, this has only one solution.
Thanks everyone :D

Btw, finally solving this question made my day :)

Likes RUber

1. What is a quadratic in two variables?

A quadratic in two variables is an algebraic expression or equation that contains two variables, typically x and y, raised to the second power, as well as a constant term. It can be represented in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable.

2. How is a quadratic in two variables different from a regular quadratic equation?

A regular quadratic equation contains only one variable, while a quadratic in two variables contains two variables. This means that the graph of a quadratic in two variables will be a curved surface in three-dimensional space, rather than a parabola in two-dimensional space.

3. What is the importance of studying quadratics in two variables?

Quadratics in two variables are important in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze real-world situations, such as projectile motion and profit optimization. Understanding quadratics in two variables can also help improve problem-solving skills and logical thinking.

4. How do you solve a quadratic in two variables?

To solve a quadratic in two variables, you can use techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The goal is to find values for the two variables that satisfy the equation. This can be done by setting the equation equal to zero and using algebraic methods to rearrange and simplify the expression.

5. Can a quadratic in two variables have more than one solution?

Yes, a quadratic in two variables can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be more than one set of values for the two variables that make the equation true. These solutions can be found by solving the equation or by graphing the equation and finding the points where the graph intersects with the x-y plane.