1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic numbers

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    Hi there!

I need a little help from your side. Could you give me an example of a quadratic number in Z3

there is a lemma, that says there are exactly two quadratic numbers there, but I somehow cannot figue out how to find them :(

I know that there are 3 equivalence classes there: [0], [1], [2], so the numbers should be equivalent to one of these...

Thanks´s very much in advance,
    marin

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2
    I am not familiar with proper terminology, so please excuse if I say this wrong. Z3 is the equivalence class mod 3 so we need to find which values can equal x*x mod 3. The squares 1,4,9,16,25,36 ... are respectively equal to 1,1,0,1,1,0 mod 3
    so the two quadratic numbers are 1 and 0 in Z3. To find the quadratic numbers in Z13 you simply take the values of x*x mod 13 as x goes from 0 to 6 since 7 = -6 mod 13 and 7*7 = 6*6 mod 13.

4. Nov 16, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not clear on what you mean by "quadratic numbers". Do you mean just numbers, y, such that x2= x*x= y? If so, then look at 0*0= 0, 1*1= 1, 2*2= 4= 1 mod 3. the two "quadratic numbers", if this is what you mean, in Z3 are [0] and [1].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?