Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic Problem

1. Dec 5, 2003 #1
    Hi, I'm hoping someone out there is going to see something in this problem that I don't because I really don't get it:

Consider the equation:

\sigma=(\omega + i \nu k^2)+\frac{\alpha^2}{\omega + i \eta k^2}

It doesn't really matter what the variables mean, (i^2=-1 of course) but what I really need is to figure out [tex] \omega [/tex], which is complex, as a function of the rest (under a certain approximation). The book I found this in claims that under the following conditions:

as well as some vague statement about [tex] \nu, \eta [/tex] being small, the two roots of the quadratic are:

\omega \approx -i \nu k^2 + \sigma + \frac{\alpha^2}{\sigma + i(\eta-\nu)k^2}

\omega \approx -i \eta k^2 - \frac{\alpha^2}{\sigma}

I don't know how they came up with this, but it would be really great to find out. Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what is the exact solution for [itex]\omega[/itex]; maybe dwelling upon that will indicate how to come up with those approximations.
  4. Dec 7, 2003 #3
    Thanks, that's what I was doing. I couldn't see how they applied the approximation though, but figured it out soon after I posted. Why does it always happen that way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?