1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic problem

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    " the height "h" meters of a cricket ball after being struck by a batsman is given by the equation h=1+x-(x^2/40) where x meters is the horisontal distance travelled by the ball from the bat. how far would the ball travel before it hits the ground?"

I have:

using pythagoras....

i dont know what to do from there...

thanks for your help
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since h is the height of the ball why not try to solve your equation for x when h=0?
  4. Feb 15, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why Pythagoras? Do you have a right triangle here? Do you even have straight lines here?
  5. Feb 15, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have to admit, considering you titled the problem as a quadratic problem, the choice of the Pythagorean Theorem was kind of interesting. The quadratic equation would work better. :biggrin:
  6. Feb 15, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

As others have pointed out that you should solve h = 0 for x.
    I just want to make it a little bit clearer...
    this means that you can found the height of the cricket ball by plugging the x - the horizontal distance the ball have travelled into h = 1 + x - (x2 / 40).
    For example, the height of the ball when the ball have travelled 1 m horizontally is:
    1 + 1 - (12 / 40) = 2 - 1 / 40 = 79 / 40 (m).
    The height of the ball when the ball have travelled 3 m horizontally is
    1 + 3 - (32 / 40) = 4 - 9 / 40 = 151 / 40 (m), do you get it?
    If the ball hit the ground then h = 0m, right?
    From there, for what x that makes h(x) = 0?
    So when the ball hits the ground, how far has it travelled horizontally? Hint: you do know how to solve a Quadratic equation, right?
    Can you go from here? :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?