Solving Consecutive Integer Problem: x(x+1)=30

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the conversation discusses finding two consecutive integers whose product equals 30 and the confusion around the wording of the problem. The solution is x={-6,5}, not x and x+1. The conversation ends with the person realizing their mistake and thanking the other person for catching it.
Saladsamurai
Quadratic Question...

I have no problem solving this problem. My question is about the wording.

Homework Statement

Find two consecutive integers whose product equals 30.

Homework Equations

unnecessary

The Attempt at a Solution

x(x+1)=30-->x^2 +x-30=0---->(x+6)(x-5)=o---> x={-6,5}

My problem is that these integers are not "consecutive." I can see that their absolute values are. Either the problem was worded incorrectly, or I have forgotten the definition of an Integer. Any thoughts?

thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
The solutions give you x, not x and x+1. There indeed are two solutions. What are they?

You've misinterpreted your results my friend. Negative 6 and positive 5 are NOT the "two consecutive integers", they are the solutions to your problem. They are the two solutions to x.

P.S. Oops, I'm too late, hehe XD

Last edited:
Nice catch. I am sitting here trying to help my girlfriend get this but I could not figure out where I went wrong!

What is a consecutive integer problem?

A consecutive integer problem is a type of math problem where the goal is to find two or more consecutive integers that satisfy a given condition. In this case, the condition is that the product of two consecutive integers is equal to 30.

How do I solve a consecutive integer problem?

To solve a consecutive integer problem, you can use algebraic equations to represent the consecutive integers and set them equal to the given condition. In this case, we can represent the two consecutive integers as x and x+1, and set their product equal to 30. This gives us the equation x(x+1)=30, which we can then solve for x.

What are the consecutive integers that satisfy x(x+1)=30?

The consecutive integers that satisfy x(x+1)=30 are 5 and 6. This can be found by setting x=5 in the equation and solving for x+1, giving us x+1=6.

Are there any other solutions to x(x+1)=30?

No, there are no other integer solutions to x(x+1)=30. This can be verified by trying different values for x and checking if their consecutive integer satisfies the equation.

Can this method be used to solve other consecutive integer problems?

Yes, this method of setting up an algebraic equation and solving for the consecutive integers can be used to solve other consecutive integer problems with different conditions. However, the specific steps and equations may vary depending on the given condition.