How Can I Simplify a Quadratic Equation with Rationals?

• Thread starter Caldus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, to rewrite a quadratic equation in the form a(x - h)^2 + k, you must complete the square by making c (the constant term) equal to (b/2)^2 (half of the coefficient of x squared squared). To do this, you add and subtract the same number to the equation, keeping the value unchanged. In this case, the equation is transformed into (x + 3/2)^2 + 1/4, which is in the desired form.
Caldus
Trying to rewrite a quadratic equation in the form a(x - h)^2 + k. The equation I'm trying to rewrite is:

y = x^2 + 3x + 5/2

Not looking for an answer, just looking for how to do this (I don't know how to do it if it has rationals in it). Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Complete the square.
x2+3x +k=(x+3/2)2
What is k?

Also, you can multiply through by two to get rid of the rationals, but don't forget to divide it out at the end.

Last edited:
IOW you do it the same as if there weren't rationals.

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
x2+3x +k=(x+3/2)2
I am sorry, but, how are those two equal ? and how are they connected to the original question ?

To convert a quadratic to the form (a(x-h)^2 + k) you must (as StephenPrivitera said) complete the square.
If you have a quadratic on the form of :
ax^2 + bx + c
Then, it is a complete square if c=(b/2)^2
So, to turn any quadratic to a complete square you need to make (c) in it equal to ((b/2)^2)
In your case, (b/2)^2 = (3/2)^2 = 9/4
To turn 5/2 into 9/4, you will need to add ((9/4)-(5/2)=(9/4)-(10/4)=-(1/4)) to it. But if you add any number to the quadratic you will actually change its value. So, to maintain the value, you will subtract the same number again, therefore leaving the qudratic unchanged (adding and subtracting the same number is like adding 0, it does nothing to the quadratic).
Here you go:
y = x^2 + 3x + 5/2
y = x^2 + 3x + 5/2 + 0
y = x^2 + 3x + 5/2 - 1/4 + 1/4
y = x^2 + 3x + (5/2 - 1/4) + 1/4
y = x^2 + 3x + (10/4 - 1/4) + 1/4
y = x^2 + 3x + 9/4 + 1/4
y = (x^2 + 3x + 9/4) + 1/4
y = ((x + 3/2)*(x + 3/2)) + 1/4
y = (x + 3/2)^2 + 1/4

Which is on the form that you asked for :smile:.

I am sorry, but, how are those two equal ? and how are they connected to the original question ?

Notice that you proved:

x^2 + 3x + 5/2 = (x + 3/2)^2 + 1/4

Do a little rearrangement and you'll see that's (essentially) of the form

x^2+3x +k=(x+3/2)^2

What is quadratic simplification?

Quadratic simplification is the process of reducing a quadratic expression into its simplest form by combining like terms and applying mathematical operations such as factoring or completing the square.

Why is quadratic simplification important?

Quadratic simplification is important because it allows us to solve and manipulate quadratic equations more easily. It also helps us understand the behavior and properties of quadratic functions.

What are the steps involved in quadratic simplification?

The steps involved in quadratic simplification are:
1. Combine like terms
2. Factor the expression (if possible)
3. Use the distributive property to remove parentheses
4. Combine like terms again
5. Simplify by applying the rules of exponents and order of operations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in quadratic simplification?

Some common mistakes to avoid in quadratic simplification are:
- Forgetting to combine like terms
- Making errors when factoring
- Forgetting to apply the distributive property
- Incorrectly applying the rules of exponents or order of operations

How can I practice and improve my skills in quadratic simplification?

You can practice and improve your skills in quadratic simplification by solving a variety of practice problems, reviewing examples, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. You can also use online resources such as interactive tutorials or practice quizzes to further enhance your understanding.