How Do You Solve for Time in Projectile Motion Equations?

• Thread starter Zashmar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a variable in a quadratic equation with an additional variable, Θ, by using the quadratic formula and substituting values for a, b, and c. The conversation also addresses simplifying an expression involving trigonometric functions and projectile motion.
Zashmar
15=35 sin Theta*t -4.9t^2

I have tried solving for t, I do not know how to...

please help

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Θ? (If you click on the "Go Advanced" button you will be able to put in the Greek letters as needed it also allows you to use superscripts.

You did not use parenthesis so I can tell you mean
15=35 sin (Θ)*t -4.9t2, or
15=35 sin (Θ*t) -4.9t2, or
15=35 sin (Θ*t -4.9)t2, or
15=35 sin (Θ*t -4.9t)2, or
15=35 sin (Θ*t -4.9t2), or

The answer to your question depends on that. Bottom line: You need to learn to use parenthesis as needed.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
15=35 sin (Θ)*t -4.9t^2

Sorry,

What is the solution to the equation at2 + bt + c = 0 ?

((-b(+-)sqrt(b^2 -4ac))/2a

I know the quadratic formula, but how will I do it if j have theta as well?

b = 35 * Sin(Θ) in this case. It is a symbolic formula, if it is a quadratic, it is valid.
Just make your equation "fit" the format of the formula and you will see what is a, what is b and what is c.
Then solve it.

Likes 1 person
So...

x= [itex](4.9 \pm \sqrt{24.01+2100 sin\vartheta}/(70 sin \vartheta)[/itex]

Zashmar said:
So...

x= [itex](4.9 \pm \sqrt{24.01+2100 sin\vartheta}/(70 sin \vartheta)[/itex]
It doesn't look like you applied the formula correctly. What did you use for a, b, and c?

Chet

15=35 sin (Θ)*t -4.9t2

a=35 sinΘ
b=-4.9
c=-15

This is wrong. You posted the correct formula above but identified wrong values for a, b and c.
Also, you missed a parenthesis.

a is the coefficient of the t^2 term, b is the coefficient of the t term and c is the independent term. Try again. Why don't you rearrange it as I suggested, it is a good practice if a, b and c don't seem ridiculously obvious.

Okay

So I have it now, how would i simplify the following (I have subbed it into x=35cos[itex]\vartheta*t[/itex])?

x=35cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex]([itex]-35 sin\vartheta \pm \sqrt{(35sin \vartheta)^2 -294}/-9.8[/itex]

I tried to put in the parentheses but it would not let me

Last edited:
Zashmar said:
So I have it now, how would i simplify the following (I have subbed it into x=35cos[itex]\vartheta*t[/itex])?

x=35cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex]([itex]-35 sin\vartheta \pm \sqrt{(35sin \vartheta)^2 -294}/-9.8[/itex]

I tried to put in the parentheses but it would not let me
You need to get the algebra right before we can help you simplify anything.

Chet

all terms except 35cos theta, should be divided by -9.8. I tired to show the parentheses but it wouldn't work

I may be missing something, but why is there a cos(theta) anyways?

Im subbing it into another equation

Be clearer, are you trying to do:
1)[itex] cos{(\theta \cdot t)}[/itex]
or
2)[itex] cos{(\theta)} \cdot t[/itex]

Also, it seems to me that your solution for x is still not correct. Check your signs.

The second option :)

Chestermiller said:
You need to get the algebra right before we can help you simplify anything.

As he said, redo it. From what I can see, your signs are wrong.

It seems you're solving a problem of projectile motion. Is this correct? Would you post the problem so we can help you more effectively?

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of polynomial equation and the highest power of the variable is 2.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation for T?

To solve a quadratic equation for T, you can use the quadratic formula, which is T = (-b±√(b^2-4ac))/2a. First, determine the values of a, b, and c from the given equation and then substitute them into the formula to find the two values of T.

3. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions for T?

No, a quadratic equation can have at most two solutions for T. This is because a quadratic equation can have at most two real roots, and the solutions for T are the values of x that make the equation equal to 0.

4. How do I know if a quadratic equation has real solutions?

A quadratic equation has real solutions if the discriminant (b^2-4ac) is greater than or equal to 0. If the discriminant is negative, the equation does not have any real solutions.

5. Can I use any method other than the quadratic formula to solve a quadratic equation for T?

Yes, there are other methods for solving quadratic equations such as factoring, completing the square, and graphing. However, the quadratic formula is the most reliable and efficient method for finding the solutions to a quadratic equation.