1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic story problem help

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    Um I don't get this problem, can someone help me get through this step by step plz.

Air Travel ... A Cessna flies 600 mi at a certain speed. A Beechcraft flies 1000 mi at a speed that is 50 mph fster, but it takes 1 hr longer. Find the speed of each plane ???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Why don't you start by writing equations relating the speed of the invidiual planes and their repective distance and time taken in relation to each other?

4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    I don't how ... if I can write the equation I can probably solve it. Its suppose to be a duaradratic but I don't get how ???

5. Jul 27, 2008 #4
    Start with distance = rate * time.

6. Jul 27, 2008 #5
    Never mind, I found someone to help ...

7. Jul 27, 2008 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Cessna and Beechcraft need two row; a row for each.
    Rate, Time, Distance each need a column. Fill in expressions according to your description. Your unknown speed seems to be that of the Cessna, so that is your variable. For simplification purposes, "speed" is the same as "Rate" for this problem description (which is not always correct).

8. Jul 27, 2008 #7
    Feel free to post your result, then, as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?