1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic vector extrapolation

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    Hi, I need to extrapolate vector [tex]v_{-1}[/tex] from [tex]v_{0}[/tex], [tex]v_{1}[/tex] and [tex]v_{2}[/tex] (see attached pic), so that if [tex]v_{2}[/tex] is on the right/left (2D case for simplicity) of [tex]v_{1}-v_{0}[/tex], [tex]v_{-1}[/tex] would also be on the right/left.

My initial solution was like this:
    [tex]v_{2} - v_{1} = v_{1} - v_{0} + dv[/tex],
    [tex]v_{1} - v_{0} = v_{0} - v_{-1} + dv[/tex],
    and from there
    [tex]v_{-1} = 3(v_{0} - v_{1}) + v_{2}[/tex].

This, however, produces ugly results when abs ([tex]v_{2} - v_{1}[/tex]) < abs ([tex]v_{1} - v_{0}[/tex]) - point [tex]v_{-1}[/tex] is placed very far from [tex]v_{0}[/tex]. So I need a better formula for this.

Any help?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    okay, this forum is titled "physics and math help". so, once in a god knows how many month I post for help, and what do I receive? a warning? if this is how you intent to help, well... screw you and your warnings. you may ban me right away, I will get help at some other place :(
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?