1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadrature encoder

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    I have one quadrature encoder with A- A+ and B- B+ Signal, but my driver is a single-ended encoder channel?
    Can i just connect either the A+ and B+ or A_ and B- signal to the single-ended encoder channel?
    Please advise.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Could you please post more details? You don't drive an encoder.

4. Jun 23, 2011 #3
    Now i have a motor with quadrate encoder from MicroE-Mecury Model 1510-S with A- A+ and B- B+ Signal, and i want use my Advanced motion controller (BE15A8) to drive the motor. From the driver its only have Single-ended encoder A and B. So can i just connect the A+ and B+ from the encoder direct to the controller?

Beside that is it possible direct connect the encoder signal to amotion controller and didnt go through the driver? Please advise. Thanks

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4
    the + and - means that the signals are differential pairs

to me it sounds like it is possible to use it by connecting the - pairs to your encoder... someone sent this to me, i hope that it can help you

6. Jun 26, 2011 #5
    For as far as I can reproduce from your information, you have an dual channel encoder. Basicly this means channel A and B are shifted a few degrees from eachother. In this way, you can determine the rotation direction (clockwise or counterclockwise).

Try powering the encoder and see if you can get a pulse signal from either A+ and A- or B+ and B-. Theres some deviation in the logic signals you get from an encoder, but experience tells me hooking up A+ and A- to an osciliscope should do the trick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook