Finding the Maximum Area of a Quadrilateral with Perpendicular Diagonals

• Thread starter BayernBlues
  • Start date
In summary, the diagonals of a quadrilateral are perpendicular and have a combined length of 6cm. The maximum area of such a quadrilateral can be found by using the formula a = ½ * x * y, where x and y are the lengths of the diagonals. By differentiating this equation, we can find the extrema of the function a(x). Solving for a'(x) = 0, we get x = 3. Plugging this value into the original equation, we get y = 3, so the dimensions of the quadrilateral are 3 x 3.
BayernBlues

Homework Statement

The diagonals of a quadrilateral are perpendicular. The sum of the lengths of the diagonals is 6cm. What is the maximum area of such a quadrilateral?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let x and y be the lengthes of the diagonals. Then the area of the quadrilateral is calculated by:

a = ½ * x * y

From the given conditions you know: x + y = 6 ==> y = 6 - x

Plug in the term for y into the first equation:

a(x) = ½*x*(6 - x) = -½x² + 3x

I do not know what to do from here. I know that there is a graphing method but I'd rather do it through differentiation so could someone do the solution that way. The answer should be y=3 and x=3 so the dimensions are 3 x 3 I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find the extrema(maxima and minima) of a given function with respect to a variable?

I'm more confused now. If I differentiate a(x), this is what happens
a'(x)=2/2 x + 3
0= x + 3
x= -3

y= 6 - x
y = 6 - (-3)
y= 9

So the dimensions are 9 x 3? That doesn't seem right.

You missed the minus sign.

6- -3 is 9.

I'm going over it and that's still the only answer I get for some reason.

I meant when you differentiated the original equation.

1. What is a Quadriateral Max/Min Question?

A Quadriateral Max/Min Question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a given quantity within a quadrilateral shape. This can involve various types of quadrilaterals, such as squares, rectangles, parallelograms, or trapezoids.

2. How do you solve a Quadriateral Max/Min Question?

To solve a Quadriateral Max/Min Question, you typically need to use the properties and formulas of the specific quadrilateral shape involved. This may include finding the area, perimeter, or angles of the shape, and using calculus techniques to find the maximum or minimum value.

3. What are some common real-life applications of Quadriateral Max/Min Questions?

Quadriateral Max/Min Questions can be used to solve various real-life problems, such as finding the optimal shape for a garden or field, maximizing the use of materials in construction projects, or minimizing the cost of packaging for a product.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tips for solving Quadriateral Max/Min Questions?

There are some general strategies that can be helpful when solving Quadriateral Max/Min Questions, such as breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and using symmetry and geometric relationships to simplify the calculations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Quadriateral Max/Min Questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Quadriateral Max/Min Questions include not carefully considering all the given information, using the wrong formulas or properties for the specific quadrilateral shape, and not checking the reasonableness of the final answer.