1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadrupole moment

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1

Looking for quadrupole moment of spherical shell with surface charge (sigma)=(sigma_o)*cos(theta) and (sigma_o) => constant
    Sphere is at the origin with radius=a.

Well, I think I am using the right equation, by integration of the quadrapole moment taken from the quadrupole term, but I am questioning my [(r')^2] factor.

I use vector product I get a zero. I guess a vector crossed with itself is always zero because of no span. I have already found the monopole and dipole (monopole =0), and I think I take the vector product of r', and not the dot product, because the dot product is a scalar... and I found by another theorem that whether it is shell or sphere, the quadrapole and higher terms are zero. So is this where the quadrapole zeroes out?? from the [(r')^2] factor?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

i'm pretty sure only the dipole moment should be non-zero. you can write all the moments in terms of the charge density integrated against spherical harmonics. E.g., Y_{0,0} for monopole term, Y_{1,m} for dipole term, Y_{2,m} for quadrupole term, etc. But since the charge density itself is proportional to Y_{1,0} only the l=1 multipole moments should be non-zero due to orthogonality of spherical harmonics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?