Calculating Quadrupole Moment of Sphere w/ Surface Charge

• Thread starter KleZMeR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the quadrupole moment of a spherical shell with a surface charge of (sigma)=(sigma_o)*cos(theta), where (sigma_o) is a constant, and the sphere is located at the origin with a radius of a. The individual is questioning the [(r')^2] factor in the integration of the quadrupole moment and whether it should be a vector or dot product. They mention finding the monopole and dipole moments to be zero, and using a theorem to show that the quadrupole and higher moments are also zero. There is also a mention of using spherical harmonics to calculate the moments, with only the l=1 moments being non-zero due to orth
KleZMeR

Looking for quadrupole moment of spherical shell with surface charge (sigma)=(sigma_o)*cos(theta) and (sigma_o) => constant
Sphere is at the origin with radius=a.

Well, I think I am using the right equation, by integration of the quadrapole moment taken from the quadrupole term, but I am questioning my [(r')^2] factor. 3.

I use vector product I get a zero. I guess a vector crossed with itself is always zero because of no span. I have already found the monopole and dipole (monopole =0), and I think I take the vector product of r', and not the dot product, because the dot product is a scalar... and I found by another theorem that whether it is shell or sphere, the quadrapole and higher terms are zero. So is this where the quadrapole zeroes out?? from the [(r')^2] factor?

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm pretty sure only the dipole moment should be non-zero. you can write all the moments in terms of the charge density integrated against spherical harmonics. E.g., Y_{0,0} for monopole term, Y_{1,m} for dipole term, Y_{2,m} for quadrupole term, etc. But since the charge density itself is proportional to Y_{1,0} only the l=1 multipole moments should be non-zero due to orthogonality of spherical harmonics.

1. What is the definition of "quadrupole moment" in the context of a sphere with surface charge?

The quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge is a measure of the distribution of charge around the sphere's center. It takes into account both the magnitude and the orientation of the charge distribution, and is used to describe the shape of the electric field produced by the sphere.

2. How is the quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge calculated?

The quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge can be calculated by summing the products of the charge density at each point on the sphere's surface and the squared distance from that point to the sphere's center, and then integrating over the entire surface.

3. What is the equation for calculating the quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge?

The equation for calculating the quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge is Q = ∫ρ(r)(3cos2θ - 1)dA, where Q is the quadrupole moment, ρ(r) is the charge density at a point on the surface, θ is the angle between the normal to the surface and the line connecting the point to the center of the sphere, and dA is the differential surface area element.

4. How does the quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge affect the electric field it produces?

The quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge determines the shape and strength of the electric field it produces. A larger quadrupole moment results in a more pronounced deviation from a purely spherical electric field, while a smaller quadrupole moment results in a more symmetric electric field.

5. What factors can influence the value of the quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge?

The value of the quadrupole moment of a sphere with surface charge can be influenced by the distribution of charge on the surface, the size and shape of the sphere, and the orientation of the charge distribution relative to the center of the sphere. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charges can also affect the quadrupole moment.