Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Qualify curvature of a curve?

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1
    suppose a curve is not uniformly curved and i would like to describe how "curvy" a segment of this curve is? how would i do to this? i imagine i can take the second derivative and find the average of it over the entire segment and the closer the average is to zero the straight the segment is but immediately i'm dealing with a set of data points.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Sep 15, 2007 #3
  5. Sep 15, 2007 #4
  6. Sep 16, 2007 #5
    Variance? I don't even know why you would be talking about curvature of a set of points.
  7. Sep 16, 2007 #6
    yea variance is probably it, i want to find the flattest part of a distrubtion of points
  8. Sep 16, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can always use discrete approximations to curvature, and/or apply some smoothing.
  9. Sep 16, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since you are dealing with a discrete set of points, and wish to make some sort of interpolation, you have to decide what niceties you want the interpolating function to have.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?