1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Quality Assurance

1. Jun 25, 2016 #1
    Just curious if anyone here has worked in quality engineering before and could share their experiences (manufacturing, maybe software quality assurance)?

Not really looking for guidance here, although I work as a quality tech and plan on going for a degree in physics (I know I should probably do engineering). At work I do inspections, CMM programming, and CAD.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2
    I'll say it because it needs to be said: if you want to work as a quality engineer, get a degree in engineering. You have the opportunity to make your life easier, you should do so.

With that out of the way, my current role is as a quality engineer. I have worked with video inspection systems, test method validation, and even software quality assurance. At this point, much of my work involves regulatory compliance in many markets across the world. I enjoy quality engineering, and the way you can build up a good system that prevents problems in the long run.

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3
    Nice, thanks for the reply! What kind of engineering degree got you a job in software QA? The thing is, it would be ideal for me to work as a Quality Engineer in manufacturing (since it's the route I'm on), but also leave the door open for software QA...I'm not sure how I'd achieve this without double majoring.

5. Jun 27, 2016 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Regulatory compliance is a major component in most QE jobs and regulations tend to be written by engineers for engineers. Mechanical is a good all purpose choice. But, just about any engineering discipline will work when related to your job or target industry.

6. Jun 27, 2016 #5
    I don't think it would be accurate to say that I have a job in software QA. I've worked extensively on SQA because it is a part of the current regulatory environment, and because I get the ideas behind it, but my job is in engineering. My degree, however, is not in engineering. My background is physics and mathematics, and while relevant, it made for a hard sell getting in the door. This is why I say get an engineering degree if you know you want to do engineering work: don't make the same mistakes I did.

I started as a manufacturing support engineer, and at least in my case, this did involve working on software quality assurance, as well as a great many other things. I don't think this kind of role excludes SQA, but usually focuses on other things. If you want a job in SQA, and nothing but SQA, then the path of least resistance involves a CS or IT degree. Other routes are available, especially if you already have a good track record in a company and want to move into a new area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted