Quantifying impact of boost leak on a turbocharged engine

In summary: While there may be some general relationships or equations that have been determined for specific situations, there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
DanWPsl
Is there a general equation that can be used to determine the impact that a leak of a given size will have on a turbocharged engine?

For example, if I know the expected boost for a given operating point (air mass through the system, pressure, temperature, etc) and I know the actual boost, can I estimate the size of the leak path, assuming a circular orifice?

Is this relationship related to expected boost algebraically? For example, if at one operating point I expect 2000mbar of boost, but due to a boost leak in the piping, I'm only receiving 1800 mbar of boost, can I extrapolate that result to estimate my boost reduction at another operating point in which I expect 2400mbar of boost?

I assume that a straight linear relationship is too easy to hope for, but I was wondering if an equation had been determined for it.

Thanks.Edited to add: I've done some searching for papers, etc, but all I can seem to find are tutorials teaching people how to determine whether their turbocharged car has a boost leak; I'm looking to quantify one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, there is no universal equation that can be used to determine the impact that a leak of a given size will have on a turbocharged engine. The size and shape of the leak, the operating conditions of the engine, and the design of the turbocharger will all affect the amount of boost reduction that is experienced. Additionally, the boost reduction may not be linear with respect to the size of the leak. As such, it is difficult to accurately quantify the impact without conducting extensive testing.

What is a boost leak and how does it affect a turbocharged engine?

A boost leak refers to any unintended air leak in the system that is responsible for providing pressurized air to the engine, also known as the intake system. This can occur in the pipes, hoses, or connections between the turbocharger and the engine. A boost leak can negatively impact a turbocharged engine by reducing the amount of air and pressure available for combustion, resulting in decreased power and performance.

How can I tell if my engine has a boost leak?

There are a few signs that may indicate a boost leak in a turbocharged engine. These include a decrease in power and acceleration, a hissing or whistling sound coming from the engine, and a decrease in fuel efficiency. Additionally, a boost gauge can be installed to monitor the pressure in the intake system and detect any abnormalities.

What are the potential consequences of a boost leak on a turbocharged engine?

A boost leak can have various consequences on a turbocharged engine, including decreased engine performance, increased wear and tear on engine components, and potential damage to the turbocharger itself. It can also result in a lean air-fuel mixture, which can lead to engine misfires and potentially cause damage to the engine's internal components.

How can I quantify the impact of a boost leak on my turbocharged engine?

Quantifying the impact of a boost leak on a turbocharged engine can be done through various methods such as performing a boost leak test, monitoring engine performance and fuel efficiency, and inspecting the intake system for any signs of damage. Additionally, consulting a professional mechanic or using diagnostic tools can provide more accurate measurements of the impact of a boost leak.

What steps can I take to prevent or fix a boost leak in my turbocharged engine?

To prevent boost leaks, regular maintenance of the intake system is crucial. This includes checking and replacing any worn or damaged hoses and connections, ensuring proper installation of components, and using high-quality parts. If a boost leak is detected, it is important to address it promptly to avoid any potential damage to the engine or turbocharger. A professional mechanic can properly diagnose and repair any boost leaks in a turbocharged engine.