1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantifying impact of boost leak on a turbocharged engine

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    Is there a general equation that can be used to determine the impact that a leak of a given size will have on a turbocharged engine?

For example, if I know the expected boost for a given operating point (air mass through the system, pressure, temperature, etc) and I know the actual boost, can I estimate the size of the leak path, assuming a circular orifice?

Is this relationship related to expected boost algebraically? For example, if at one operating point I expect 2000mbar of boost, but due to a boost leak in the piping, I'm only receiving 1800 mbar of boost, can I extrapolate that result to estimate my boost reduction at another operating point in which I expect 2400mbar of boost?

I assume that a straight linear relationship is too easy to hope for, but I was wondering if an equation had been determined for it.

Thanks.

Edited to add: I've done some searching for papers, etc, but all I can seem to find are tutorials teaching people how to determine whether their turbocharged car has a boost leak; I'm looking to quantify one.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted