What is the mass of water that will react with 4.0g of pure calcium metal?

In summary, the person is asking for help with an assignment that involves calculating the mass of water that will react with 4.0g of calcium metal. They are struggling with converting mole ratio to mass ratio and do not have a textbook to reference. They are seeking help from others and are from a remote place called Kiribati.
rahmatkat
I have an assignment that i have to do this weekend and i was wondering if anyone can help me with it, here's the only question that I don't understand;

1)calculate the mass of the water that will react completely with 4.0g of pure calcium metal according to the following equation:

Ca(s) + 2H2O ------ Ca(OH)2(s) + H2(g)

Ar(H) = 1, Ar(O) = 16, Ar(Ca) = 40

I don't know how to convert mole ratio to mass ratio.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You simply need to convert the mole ratio to mass ratio. Once done, use it.

What is the formula weight for Calcium? What is the formula weight for water, H2O ?

I have add the formula weight of water and calcium, and I don't know how to convert mole ratio to mass ratio cause i forgot how.

Consult your textbook please. "I forgot" is rather weak reason to ask for help.

sorry but I don't have a textbook, that why I was asking for your help guys. I know that it sounds funny but in our school we weren't given any textbooks, we just have to rely on our teachers notes, the reason is that we don't have much, and another problem is that i left my form five chemistry textbook in Kiribati, I'm in fiji right now, so I wish you guys can help me with this problem, i'll be clad to received your help.

It boils down to the conversion between numer of moles of mass of the substance.

n=m/M

where
n - number of moles
m - mass of the substance
M - molar mass

So, you are from Kiribati? Rather remote place.

What is quantitative chemistry?

Quantitative chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with measuring and quantifying the amounts of substances in a chemical reaction or process. It involves using mathematical calculations and techniques to determine the exact amounts of reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction.

What are the basic principles of quantitative chemistry?

The basic principles of quantitative chemistry include the law of conservation of mass, which states that mass is neither created nor destroyed in a chemical reaction, and the law of definite proportions, which states that a compound will always contain the same proportion of elements by mass. Other principles include stoichiometry, which is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction, and molar ratios, which are used to convert between different units of measurement in chemistry.

How is quantitative chemistry used in real-world applications?

Quantitative chemistry is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including drug development, environmental analysis, food and beverage production, and quality control in manufacturing. It is also used in research and development to determine the efficacy and efficiency of new products and processes.

What are some common techniques used in quantitative chemistry?

Some common techniques used in quantitative chemistry include gravimetric analysis, which involves measuring the mass of a substance to determine its concentration, titration, which involves using a solution of known concentration to determine the concentration of an unknown solution, and spectrophotometry, which involves measuring the amount of light absorbed or transmitted by a substance to determine its concentration. Other techniques include gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and electrochemical analysis.

How does quantitative chemistry relate to other branches of chemistry?

Quantitative chemistry is closely related to other branches of chemistry, such as analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, and organic chemistry. It involves using principles and techniques from these branches to quantify and measure chemical reactions and processes. It is also used in conjunction with other branches of chemistry to study the properties and behavior of substances in different environments and conditions.