Quantitive Thinking Help - Improve My Scores on 9th Grade National Tests

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the speaker received their 9th grade national test scores and did above average in all subjects except for quantitative thinking, which was barely passed the average mark. The speaker's parents were not pleased and the speaker is seeking help on improving this skill through books or websites. The speaker also struggles with timed tests and is looking for tips on improving their mathematical quantitative thinking. The conversation includes suggestions to practice and internalize knowledge, as well as advice on order of magnitude estimates for multiple choice questions. The speaker also mentions a statistic about half of American schoolchildren having below-average quantitative thinking skills and clarifies that they are from Canada.
Dagenais
My 9th grade national tests just came back. I did above average on everything, my quantitive thinking however barely got passed the average mark.

My parents are not pleased, even though they are decent scores.

So, I need help on this subject. Any books or websites that provide this quantitive thinking skill or that could enhance mine?

The test was timed, and I suck at timed tests.

So, can you explain to me about Mathematical quantitive thinking and how to take a timed test on one? The reason I barely passed the average mark was because I ran out of time and couldn't finish...

Any hints or links would be very helpful.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by kenikov My parents are not pleased, even though they are decent scores.

Make you're parents take the same test and see how they do.

My dad would do better, I know that for a fact.

I would of done a lot better if I had just enough time.

My mom is more artistic so I doubt she would even bother.

You are right though, parents don't understand.

They think my life is just a walk in the park full of video games, playing with my computer, television and sports.

Oh wait...it is.

Hrm.

Nobody can give me hints on quantitive thinking?

Nobody can even give me a link to a book or tutorial on teaching on improving skills?

I think you just need practice. If it’s a speed problem then practice could help. You say that you would do better if you had more time and that's a problem I can understand, but is it a problem worth solving? I have a similar problem. I am the strongest student in my math class but I take longer them most on the assignments and the tests.
I know there are quantitive comparison question on the sat if it’s the same types of questions you are having trouble with you could practice them by getting a sat prep book at the library.

What kind of questions were on the test? Were they arithmetic problems or were they the kind where you have to first deduce the right formula, like rate-time-distance? And were they heavier on algebraic (arithmetic) thinking or on geometry? Different people have different mixes of these skills.

They were multiple choice.

I know I had everyone right that I answered.

Basically like 9th-10th grade mathematics.

You know, I read the other day that half of American schoolchildren have below-average quantitative thinking skills.

- Warren

;)

Originally posted by chroot
You know, I read the other day that half of American schoolchildren have below-average quantitative thinking skills.

So how many are above average?

Originally posted by kenikov
They were multiple choice.

I know I had everyone right that I answered.

Basically like 9th-10th grade mathematics.

Algebra and geometry then?

Perhaps some practice in internalizing what you know - so it comes up faster in your mind when you need it. Doing problems backwards sometimes helps her - given the answer, reconstruct the problem without peeking. Make some flash cards with different kinds of problems (quadratic equations, multiple equations, triangles) on one side and the first step in the solution of that problem on the other. Practice for speed.

With multiple choice questions you want to be able to do order of magnitude estimates. If the choices are

A) 0.1
B) 1.0
C) 10.0
D) 100.0
E) 1000.0

- you shouldn't have to work the whole problem to figure out which one is right. "Let's see, the first factor can't be over ten, and the second is obviously less than 6 so (D) and (E) are impossible,..."

This is very light help. There are people (google on quantitative thinking) who give courses in it - and there are degrees in teaching it. But I hope this is at least something useful to think about.

I am from Canada, I just happen to attend school with Americans.

I believe so, because I didn't do so great on the quantitive thinking about I still got above average, which surprised. me.

1. How can I improve my scores on 9th grade national tests?

There are several ways to improve your scores on 9th grade national tests. First, make sure you are familiar with the test format and content. Practice with sample questions and take timed practice tests to get comfortable with the test structure. Additionally, work on improving your study habits and time management skills. Finally, seek help from teachers or tutors if you are struggling with specific subjects.

2. Why is quantitative thinking important for 9th grade national tests?

Quantitative thinking is important for 9th grade national tests because these tests often include math and science questions that require analytical and problem-solving skills. Having a strong foundation in quantitative thinking can help you approach these questions more effectively and improve your overall test scores.

3. What resources can I use to improve my quantitative thinking skills?

There are many resources available to help improve your quantitative thinking skills. You can use online practice tests, review books, and study guides to familiarize yourself with the types of questions that will be on the test. Additionally, seeking help from teachers, tutors, or study groups can also be beneficial.

4. How can I stay calm and focused during the test?

Staying calm and focused during the test is essential for achieving a high score. Some tips for staying calm include taking deep breaths, pacing yourself, and focusing on one question at a time. It can also be helpful to have a positive mindset and remind yourself that you have prepared for the test.

5. Are there any specific strategies I can use during the test to improve my scores?

Yes, there are several strategies you can use during the test to improve your scores. These include reading the questions carefully, eliminating obviously incorrect answer choices, and using any given formulas or equations to solve math problems. It can also be helpful to budget your time and not spend too much time on any one question.