1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantization using the bohr model

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    bohr model: permitted radii?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A new (fifth) force has been proposed that binds an object to a central body through a potential
    energy function given by:
    [tex]U(r) = -Dr^{\frac{-3}{2}}[/tex]
    [tex]2 r > 0[/tex] and [tex]D > 0[/tex]

(a) What is the (central) force F(r) associated with this potential energy function?
    The object (with mass m) is in an orbit around a central body. The central body is electrically
    neutral so we can ignore the Coulomb force. Further, we can ignore the gravitational force
    between the object and the central body as it is insignificant compared to the “fifth force.”

(b) What is the total energy of this body in orbit? Is it bound to the central body? Explain
    your reasoning.

(c) Using the Bohr model that says that angular momentum is quantized, [tex]L = mvr = n\hbar[/tex], determine the permitted values of the object’s radius [tex]r_{n}[/tex].

(d) The total energy of the object associated with [tex]r_{n}[/tex] is also quantized. The general form of this energy expression is [tex]En = an^{b}[/tex] where a and b are constants. Determine these constants.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E=U+K[/tex]
    [tex]F=ma[/tex] (I think..)

3. The attempt at a solution

a:
    Got this one:
    Differentiate the first formula to [tex]dU(r) = {\frac{3}{2}}Dr^{\frac{-5}{2}}[/tex]

b:
    this one too:
    [tex]E=U+K[/tex]
    with [tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex] and [tex]U=-Dr^{\frac{-3}{2}}[/tex]

c:
    I tried [tex]{\frac{3}{2}}Dr^{\frac{-5}{2}}=ma[/tex] and [tex]a=\frac{v^{2}}{r_{n}}[/tex] with gives [tex]r_{n}=\frac{9}{4}(\frac{D}{nv\hbar})^{2}[/tex] but I don't know if it is correct.

d. I don't know how tackle this.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Re: bohr model: permitted radii?

What is v? Did you answer the rest of the question?

Again, what is v? In this case, you definitely shouldn't have a v-dependent r, unless v is also quantized. Is it? Ultimately, it is probably best to remove v from all considerations, since this problem is getting at the QM, and v is much more CM than QM.

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    I got it. Thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?