Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantized Cherenkov Radiation

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody,

I try to understand Cherenkov radiation from a quantal point of view. I searched for research papers on this topic, but I am not satisfied with what I found so far. So maybe you can help me.

What I want to calculate is the matrix element for emission of a Cherenkov photon by a moving electron. The Feynman diagram for this process is described by an incoming electron and an outgoing electron + photon (no internal lines anywhere). This first order process would be forbidden in vacuum but is allowed in solids. To calculate now the matrix element for this process, what should I use for the electromagnetic vector potential that describes the photon? As I see it, it should just be like in the free case but with a modified relation between the energy and wave vector of the photon due to the permittivity of the medium. What do you think?

Greetings, Syrius

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted