1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantized Vortices in Superfluid Rotation

1. May 23, 2009 #1
    I am trying to derive an expression for the number of quantized vortices created in superfluid He-4 when a container of radius R is rotated at angular velocity 'omega'.

I have completed an earlier part of the question, whereby I showed that the velocity of the superfluid as a function of r was v(r) = (n*hbar)/(m*r), where n is an integer, m is the mass of a helium 4 atom and r is the radial distance from the vortex core, when the container was rotated at just enough angular velocity to produce a single vortex. I'm not sure if this is related, but thought I'd slip it in. At higher rotational rates, the vortex breaks up and forms a number of smaller vortices based upon the rotational velocity of the container - and I need to find an expression that predicts this amount (with a few simplifying assumptions).

I have no idea how to go about this though or what the expression may end up looking like - and I've been dwelling on it for a long time! Any helping hands, pointers in the right direction, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am at a complete loss!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?