1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quanton in Box Energy Levels

1. Apr 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Imagine a box of unknown length with the only visible photons emitted have 620nm and 443nm. Identify the transitions and find the length of the box.

2. Relevant equations
    wavelength = (8mc2L2)/(hc(ni2 - nf2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I assume that I need to do is make a guess and find the first transition. From there find the ground state and then compare this ground state to the next transition.

From the lecture on this topic though we did not go over any problems like this so I am confused as to find the first transition.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Beware the "visible" ! You don't know if there are invisible photons, but you do know that there are no photons with a wavelength in between. Try a few transitions and see what wavelength expressions you get. Perhaps an expression for the difference between two consecutive wavelengths ?

4. Apr 30, 2014 #3
    Try dividing one wavelength by the other

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted