Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum affects what scale?

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone, I had to write about the cardiovascular system in biology and that got me thinking, would quantum effects alter the flow of oxygen or other chemicals around the body? Atoms really aren't that small, electron microscopes can after all see them, but at what scale do quantum effects actually occur? Thanks. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2
    Yes- but in subtle ways. The largest effect would be for protons/H nuclei involved in H-bonds. For example, D2O (heavy water) has slightly different properties to H2O because of zero-point differences.

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The fact that you have O2 instead of just O in ordinary oxygen gas, and that you can have a phase transition between solid and liquid, etc. are evidence of quantum effects. In fact, chemistry in general are evidence of quantum effects even before QM was discovered/formulated.

Zz.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #4
    I assume the poster was referring to nuclear zero-point effects. I could be wrong.

6. Aug 9, 2007 #5
    hmmm actually I was more referring to quantum probability and heisenbergian physics

7. Aug 9, 2007 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then you have a very narrow idea of what quantum mechanics and its effects are. Your modern electronics are "quantum effects". That is the only way we have understood the behavior of semiconductors, insulators, and ordinary conductors.

Zz.

8. Aug 9, 2007 #7
    Sorry, I only have a surface understanding of physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?