Does Quantum Physics Affect the Cardiovascular System?

In summary: I was more referring to the Heisenbergian uncertainty principle and its implications. Then you have a very narrow idea of what quantum mechanics and its effects are. Your modern electronics are "quantum effects". That is the only way we have understood the behavior of semiconductors, insulators, and ordinary conductors.
Identity
Hi everyone, I had to write about the cardiovascular system in biology and that got me thinking, would quantum effects alter the flow of oxygen or other chemicals around the body? Atoms really aren't that small, electron microscopes can after all see them, but at what scale do quantum effects actually occur? Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes- but in subtle ways. The largest effect would be for protons/H nuclei involved in H-bonds. For example, D2O (heavy water) has slightly different properties to H2O because of zero-point differences.

Identity said:
Hi everyone, I had to write about the cardiovascular system in biology and that got me thinking, would quantum effects alter the flow of oxygen or other chemicals around the body? Atoms really aren't that small, electron microscopes can after all see them, but at what scale do quantum effects actually occur? Thanks. :smile:

The fact that you have O2 instead of just O in ordinary oxygen gas, and that you can have a phase transition between solid and liquid, etc. are evidence of quantum effects. In fact, chemistry in general are evidence of quantum effects even before QM was discovered/formulated.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The fact that you have O2 instead of just O in ordinary oxygen gas, and that you can have a phase transition between solid and liquid, etc. are evidence of quantum effects. In fact, chemistry in general are evidence of quantum effects even before QM was discovered/formulated.

Zz.

I assume the poster was referring to nuclear zero-point effects. I could be wrong.

hmmm actually I was more referring to quantum probability and Heisenbergian physics

Identity said:
hmmm actually I was more referring to quantum probability and Heisenbergian physics

Then you have a very narrow idea of what quantum mechanics and its effects are. Your modern electronics are "quantum effects". That is the only way we have understood the behavior of semiconductors, insulators, and ordinary conductors.

Zz.

Sorry, I only have a surface understanding of physics

1. What is the meaning of "quantum affects what scale?"

The phrase "quantum affects what scale" refers to the concept in quantum mechanics that describes how the behavior and properties of particles change at different scales, such as the microscopic level of atoms and subatomic particles.

2. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles at different scales?

Quantum mechanics uses mathematical equations and principles to describe the behavior of particles at different scales. It takes into account the wave-particle duality of matter and the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with complete accuracy.

3. Can quantum mechanics be applied to larger objects, such as humans or planets?

While quantum mechanics is primarily used to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, some researchers are exploring its application to larger objects. However, the effects are much more difficult to observe and measure at larger scales.

4. What are some real-world examples of quantum effects at different scales?

One example of quantum effects at the microscopic scale is the phenomenon of superposition, where particles can exist in multiple states at the same time. At larger scales, quantum effects can be seen in technologies such as transistors and lasers, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. How does understanding quantum effects at different scales impact our daily lives?

Quantum mechanics has led to many technological advancements, such as computers and smartphones, that have greatly impacted our daily lives. It also helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level, leading to advancements in fields such as medicine and energy production.