Why Does Energy Behavior Differ in Particle in a Box Model Versus Bohr's Theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the contradiction between the increase in energy as n increases in the particle in a box model, while Bohr's theory shows a decrease in energy with increasing n. The speaker notes that the negative sign in Bohr's equation accounts for this difference and explains that in both cases, the energy is actually increasing. They also question the application of Bohr's model to a particle in a box.
Lizwi
Hi, Please help me I am lost. I particle in a box model , equation for energy show that the energy increases as n increases, but in Borh's theory n^2 is in the denominator showing that as n increase, the energy decrease, I see the condradiction here. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should we apply Bohr's model to a particle in a box? Regardless, note the negative sign in Bohr's equation. As the principal quantum number "n" increases the energy because less negative. So in both cases its getting higher.

The Bohr energy is increasing even with n2 in denominator, because there is a negative sign. The energy is getting closer to zero from below - thus it is increasing.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles on a microscopic scale. It explains how particles such as atoms and subatomic particles behave and interact with each other.

2. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of objects on a macroscopic scale, while quantum physics describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. Classical physics follows the laws of classical mechanics, while quantum physics follows the laws of quantum mechanics, which involve probabilities and uncertainty.

3. What is an atom?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element. It is made up of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and electrons that orbit around the nucleus.

4. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one property of a particle affects the other, making it impossible to have precise knowledge of both simultaneously.

5. How does quantum physics impact our daily lives?

Quantum physics has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing new materials, as well as in fields like telecommunications and cryptography.