1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum and Matrix Mechanics

1. Oct 8, 2004 #1
    A is an operator and Uinv is the inverse of operator U

How am I to show that A and Uinv(A)U have the same eigenvalues? Must U be unitary for this to be true?

And if the eigenvectors of A are (Psi n), what are the eigenvectors of Uinv(A)U?

Help anyone? Not sure what to do here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2004 #2
    Unitarity of U is not required. To prove your assertion, try to start with the equation [tex]Av=\lambda v[/tex]. How may you manipulate this equation to obtain [tex]U^{-1}AU[/tex]?

4. Oct 8, 2004 #3
    So can I just do something like following:?

We know [tex]Av=\lambda 2 v[/tex]

We then let [tex]Uv=\lambda 1 v[/tex]

So then [tex]Av \lambda1=\lambda 2 \lambda1 v[/tex]

Then since we know
    [tex]U^{-1}U=1[/tex], we know

[tex]U^{-1}v=v/(\lambda 1 )[/tex]

Thus[tex]U^{-1}AUv=\lambda 2 v[/tex]

5. Oct 8, 2004 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite, but close. Multiply the original equation on the left by [tex] U [/tex] then insert [tex] 1 = U^{-1}U [/tex] and work from there.....

6. Oct 9, 2004 #5
    Can you explain to me why what I did is wrong? And when you say to multiply thee original equation by U, and then use the fact that 1=U multiplied by its inverse, it seems that the order of terms in the equation is altered from the expected result [tex]U^{-1}AU[/tex]

And I know when it comes to matrix multiplication AB does not equal BA, so I am a tad confused as to what you want me to do. I apologize for my slowness.

7. Oct 9, 2004 #6
    To get you started,

[tex]Av=\lambda v[/tex]
    [tex]U^{-1}Av=\lambda U^{-1}v[/tex]

Now how may you manipulate the last equation to get [tex]U^{-1}AU[/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?