• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Quantum Bookhunting

• Thread starter Xian
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi guys, I'm looking for a good book on introductory quantum mechanics that is also really thorough in terms of mathematical derivations but still presents the physical concepts in a well written and enlightening manner. In other words, just a really really good introductory text on quantum mechanics. Thanks in advance guys.

Answers and Replies

I'm not sure how 'introductory' you are looking for, since you are (wisely) interested in mathematical rigor. I like Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics for introductory stuff, his Advanced QM would be too much, I'd imagine. Cohen-Tannoudji's two parter is not bad for derivations either, I found.

whybother, by mathematically "rigorous" I think he means given QM postulates, can one derive all the equations associated with introductory QM.

I share your pain.

I don't have a Quantum Mechanics book yet.

However, my dad is a Mathematician and he has book titled "Introduction to Hilbert Spaces and Applications." I perused through it recently when I was bored and found an 80 page section titled "Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics."

It is funny that I had that book with me.

jtbell
Mentor
Now that this thread has been moved to the Science Books forum, you might want to browse around here for other threads about QM books. :smile:

A.Z. Capri(Emeritus Professor in Alberta U.): Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002. Also with a further step of his Relativistic Quantum Mechanics.

I think Griffiths is still a good standard in intro QM.

I think Griffiths is still a good standard in intro QM.
I second the vote for Griffiths. Although I also recommend learning QM in conjunction with Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics. If you work through these two books you will know the better part of the undergraduate physics curriculum.

1. A.Z. Capri(Professor Emeritus in Alberta U., Canada): Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002, as well as Problems & solutions in nonrelativistic quantum mechanics. River Edge, N.J. : World Scientific, c2002. Also with a further step of his Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Introduction to Quantum Field Theory, River Edge, NJ : World Scientific, 2002.

2. Stephen J. Gustafson, Israel Michael Sigal. Mathematical concepts of quantum mechanics. Berlin ; New York : Springer, 2003.

Zettili

"mr tompkins in wonderland" is a very good introdutuary book on quantom mechanics

dont know if you will be able to find it though.