1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Bookhunting

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a good book on introductory quantum mechanics that is also really thorough in terms of mathematical derivations but still presents the physical concepts in a well written and enlightening manner. In other words, just a really really good introductory text on quantum mechanics. Thanks in advance guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2
    I'm not sure how 'introductory' you are looking for, since you are (wisely) interested in mathematical rigor. I like Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics for introductory stuff, his Advanced QM would be too much, I'd imagine. Cohen-Tannoudji's two parter is not bad for derivations either, I found.

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    whybother, by mathematically "rigorous" I think he means given QM postulates, can one derive all the equations associated with introductory QM.

I share your pain.

I don't have a Quantum Mechanics book yet.

However, my dad is a Mathematician and he has book titled "Introduction to Hilbert Spaces and Applications." I perused through it recently when I was bored and found an 80 page section titled "Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics."

It is funny that I had that book with me.

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Now that this thread has been moved to the Science Books forum, you might want to browse around here for other threads about QM books. :smile:

6. Apr 19, 2009 #5
    A.Z. Capri(Emeritus Professor in Alberta U.): Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002. Also with a further step of his Relativistic Quantum Mechanics.

7. Apr 19, 2009 #6
    I think Griffiths is still a good standard in intro QM.

8. Apr 19, 2009 #7
    I second the vote for Griffiths. Although I also recommend learning QM in conjunction with Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics. If you work through these two books you will know the better part of the undergraduate physics curriculum.

9. Apr 19, 2009 #8

Vid

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Apr 20, 2009 #9
    1. A.Z. Capri(Professor Emeritus in Alberta U., Canada): Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2002, as well as Problems & solutions in nonrelativistic quantum mechanics. River Edge, N.J. : World Scientific, c2002. Also with a further step of his Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Introduction to Quantum Field Theory, River Edge, NJ : World Scientific, 2002.

2. Stephen J. Gustafson, Israel Michael Sigal. Mathematical concepts of quantum mechanics. Berlin ; New York : Springer, 2003.

11. Apr 26, 2009 #10
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Apr 27, 2009 #11
    Zettili

13. Apr 28, 2009 #12
    "mr tompkins in wonderland" is a very good introdutuary book on quantom mechanics

dont know if you will be able to find it though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook