1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Computation 4x4 Unitary Matrix for Circuit

1. Oct 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the 4x4 unitary matrix for the circuit in the computational basis.
    LrTZi.png

2. Relevant equations

We were given the following relationship in our notes: 8yAOT.png .

By letting [itex] A = H [/itex] and [itex]B = I[/itex], the answer is supposedly supposed to be: 8yN69.png simply by inspection (where H is the Hadarmard gate and I is the identity matrix).

3. The attempt at a solution

Unfortunately, I found a different result. By running the basis states through the circuit, I came up with the following:
    [itex]\left| 00 \right\rangle \rightarrow H(\left|0\right\rangle)\left|0\right\rangle = ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left|0\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left|1\right\rangle ) \left|0\right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|00\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|10\right\rangle[/itex]

Using this method for each computational basis, I was able to generate the following matrix by inspection:
    lE0SE.png

Why are the answers so vastly different? What is the correct one?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?