Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum computer demostrated

1. Feb 16, 2007 #1
    I find it hard to believe that they got 16 qubits working... and they say they'd have 512 or 1024 by the end of next year!

but there are so many tech sites that cover this computer...

The Register
    Scientific American

i don't think these sites are serious, i don't know if they had someone credible look at this computer and approve it as a real quantum computer and not just another one of these "quantum computers" that you can find right now (which can run windows :tongue2: ).

what do you think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2007 #2
    I'm no expert but this looks pretty credible, note they are used in tandem with an electronic system. Last I'd heard they had successfully made quantum transistors, but I hadn't heard they were this far along, it could be a fake, but it sounds plausible, there not claiming they have a stand alone quantum system or anything outlandish?

And it appears for now it's slower than a conventional PC and more limited.

Watch this space, there going to get it peer reviewed, if it's quackery we'll soon find out? Could be marketing?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  4. Feb 16, 2007 #3
    My company does some work on quantum computers, I can say that a 16 qubit machine is not totally out of line (although its still ahead of the curve). Of course it's possible the company is faking their results, but a 16 qubit machine is not an outrageous claim.
  5. Feb 16, 2007 #4
    Can this new computer factor 77? That's my public key.
  6. Feb 16, 2007 #5
    if it's true, it's very alarming... if they could make it to the 256 qubit (as they claim they would in a year) online shopping will no longer exist - there would no longer be a secure way to buy through the internet...
  7. Feb 16, 2007 #6
    I don't think your average criminal will be getting hold of the cryo technology involved for quite some time though.
  8. Feb 16, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Scientists dubious of quantum computer claims"

"...And independent quantum computing researchers said they are dubious of some of the claims made by D-Wave Systems Inc. because the privately held Canadian company has not yet submitted its findings for peer review, a standard step for gaining acceptance in scientific circles."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?