Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum computer demostrated

1. Feb 16, 2007 #1
    I find it hard to believe that they got 16 qubits working... and they say they'd have 512 or 1024 by the end of next year!

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6102

but there are so many tech sites that cover this computer...

Engadget

The Register
    Physorg.com
    ExtremeTech
    Scientific American

i don't think these sites are serious, i don't know if they had someone credible look at this computer and approve it as a real quantum computer and not just another one of these "quantum computers" that you can find right now (which can run windows :tongue2: ).

what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2007 #2
    I'm no expert but this looks pretty credible, note they are used in tandem with an electronic system. Last I'd heard they had successfully made quantum transistors, but I hadn't heard they were this far along, it could be a fake, but it sounds plausible, there not claiming they have a stand alone quantum system or anything outlandish?

And it appears for now it's slower than a conventional PC and more limited.

Watch this space, there going to get it peer reviewed, if it's quackery we'll soon find out? Could be marketing?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  4. Feb 16, 2007 #3
    My company does some work on quantum computers, I can say that a 16 qubit machine is not totally out of line (although its still ahead of the curve). Of course it's possible the company is faking their results, but a 16 qubit machine is not an outrageous claim.

5. Feb 16, 2007 #4
    Can this new computer factor 77? That's my public key.

6. Feb 16, 2007 #5
    if it's true, it's very alarming... if they could make it to the 256 qubit (as they claim they would in a year) online shopping will no longer exist - there would no longer be a secure way to buy through the internet...

7. Feb 16, 2007 #6
    I don't think your average criminal will be getting hold of the cryo technology involved for quite some time though.

8. Feb 16, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

FYI:
    "Scientists dubious of quantum computer claims"
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/02/15/quantum.computer.ap/index.html

"...And independent quantum computing researchers said they are dubious of some of the claims made by D-Wave Systems Inc. because the privately held Canadian company has not yet submitted its findings for peer review, a standard step for gaining acceptance in scientific circles."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?