1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Computers, I want to work on them. Should I study physics or computer science

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    Hey guys,
    I´m really interested in Quantum Computers and i´d love to work on them. I´ll have to decide my carreer soon, and i wanted to know what should i study, either Physics or Computer Science? I know that eventually I´ll have to study both...but what makes more sense to you guys?. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: Quantum Computers, I want to work on them. Should I study physics or computer sci

As I studied physics myself, my view may be a bit biased, but I think physics is a better field to begin. Working with the first concepts of quantum computers will require a lot of quantum theory, and "programming" them is a physics task completely different from regular computers, too.

I think this belongs to the Career Guidance forum.

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    Re: Quantum Computers, I want to work on them. Should I study physics or computer sci

You would want to study physics. Quantum computers work very differently than computers covered in computer science, it's an entirely different idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook